Video Card Needed For G4 Sawtooth

Posted by Jon Fonda 
I have a G4 Sawtooth with a 1.4 GHz OWC processor, 1 gig RAM and would like to run Motion. Are there now any video cards out there now that will work with my old G4? Thanks.

Re: Video Card Needed For G4 Sawtooth
July 11, 2005 11:19AM
The only choice is ...
[www.atitech.com]

however, does the motion run well on a CPU upgraded Mac ? I'm not sure.

Good Luck
Antonio Hui

July 11, 2005 08:09PM
Motion will not load on a system which was slower that the minimum CPU speed, even with a CPU upgrade.

Sorry.
July 11, 2005 08:43PM
Thanks John,

Yes, even someone could find the way to run the motion on their slowest mac (like myself=) finally they will found the overall performance are limited.

But the good news is, the ATI 9800pro mac edition is compatible to G5. so that the user could save some money when update their G4 to G5. (that's the case with my dual-G5/2.5GHz)

Antonio Hui

July 12, 2005 08:05AM
That's the ATI 9800pro mac "Special" edition. They are not the same card.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 12, 2005 08:30AM
No, as I mensioned, that is the original ATI 9800pro mac edition with 4x/2x AGP bus. I already moved that from my old G4 to G5 without done any special, just plug and play (then a happy smile, myself =). I only need to re-connect the power cable to the harddisk's DC plug. quite simple at all. That is suggested by the offical ATI web stie.

Antonio Hui

Hi, I recently upgraded my Mac, Gigadesign 1.8 Dual Processor, I upgraded the Video card to a ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128Mb card, all is well.

Only draw back is that the retail version of the card has a DVI output and VGA output. I can only afford to run 1 x 20" Apple Display so it's not an issue, however if i wanted to run another, I'd have to shell out for another (?) $500 US for a converter for the VGA to ADC, made by Geffen or maybe one from someone called Dr. Bot.

Check out 9000 or 9600 or 9200 (not sure of exact model numbers) and see what outputs they have.

cheers

michael

July 29, 2005 09:14PM
I would not buy a video card until I knew what my monitor setup will be. It's not worth buying a VGA to ADC adapter - ridiculous waste of $$$...might as well just get a better video card with dual digital outputs.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 03, 2005 10:15PM
If you have a Quicksilver or Dual Mirrored version of G4-MAC-- there is very little choice but to use the one video card (ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition- 4x AGP) that will load Motion AND if you also have the ADC connected Cinema Display - you will need the DVI-ADC converter from Apple or Dr. Bott.

(PS- There is no VGA to ADC converter that I know of)
Hi

Try Link: /www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=0151-VGAT

www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1301

expensive, huh!

Michael

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics