animated mask question?

Posted by Chi-Ho Lee 
animated mask question?
November 08, 2005 12:32PM
Hey all,

I'm using a mask to reveal a lower third as a wipe. I'm using the Animation Record button to do this. When I adjust the right edge, the actual size of the mask is changing as well??

I wasn't able to lock the left corners and animate just the right edges.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,

CHL
Re: animated mask question?
November 08, 2005 01:07PM
CHL,

Not sure what your questions is - if you want to move the entire mask, just grab it from inside. If you just want the right edge to move, just grab and move the right edge, the left edge will stay in place and the mask will shrink.

Mark
November 08, 2005 01:16PM
Mark,

This is Chi-Ho Lee, we met out in NAB.

My question is: draw a mask and animate the right edge it to wipe from right to left to wipe away a pic.

Watch it in playback.

The left edge of the mask will slide right and then back to its original start point. I find that weird!

I'm asking if there is a way to lock the left edge so it won't slide at all.

-Chi-Ho
November 08, 2005 01:30PM
Hey, Chi-Ho, how are you!

It shouldn't slide back.

1) park playhead at beginning of animation
2) draw mask over the letters, then drag one edge to shrink it down so it doesn't cover any of them
3) move playhead to end of animation
4) turn on record animation
5) drag mask out to reveal text

That should work
November 08, 2005 01:36PM
Hey Mark,

It does work- meaning it will wipe in or out the object.

But if you have the mask selected so you can see the red border, watch the mask as you play thru. And also in the inspector, you can see that the position and the scale have been animated.

The key is to watch the mask as you play through and you should be able to see what I mean.

I guess I would like to wipe it in more like in FCP where you can keyframe the right edge under the crop parameter.

Chi-Ho
November 08, 2005 01:47PM
My work machine is tied up with outputing a long video now so I'll have to check it out later - but what's the problem exactly? I've done this many times and seems to work fine - it's not a crop but you could certainly animate the crop on the text object if you wanted to.
November 08, 2005 02:58PM
Chi-Ho, try changing the anchor point of the mask by moving to the edge that is supposed to remain stationary, that should do it.
Mark
November 08, 2005 03:02PM
I take it back, even with the anchor point located on the edge, the edge moves when animating the opposite edge. Very annoying.
November 08, 2005 09:45PM
not only annoying but potentially screwing up your animation. Do you know why the whole mask is moving?

-CHL
November 08, 2005 09:52PM
Nope - logicially it should lock at the anchor point. Greg Niles, you out there?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics