FCP > Motion and then back again

Posted by Mr. Malcolm 
FCP > Motion and then back again
November 25, 2005 01:56PM
Alright, I'm wrapping up a project and want to export it to Motion for some final effects and color correcting. I selected my in/out points, right clicked, and then sent to motion.

Everything looks fine in Motion, it has all the seperate clips just like my timeline. The only problem is when I go back to FCP, my timeline is just one fat motion clip. How do I bring it back from motion, still maintaining all my seperate clips and layers?

"A man that does not reply to his own thread after receiving help truly sucketh."
Re: FCP > Motion and then back again
November 25, 2005 03:09PM
That's how it works: your clips get replaced with the Motion project file. If you want to edit further, right click on the project file and choose "open in Editor".

Btw, when you Send to Motion, FCP creates a backup copy of the clips you exported in a sequence in your Browser, in case you need it.
Mark
November 25, 2005 03:34PM
Hmmm... I guess I'll just work with it. Thanks.

"A man that does not reply to his own thread after receiving help truly sucketh."
November 25, 2005 03:35PM
> That's how it works: your clips get replaced with the Motion project file. If you want to edit further, right click on the project file and choose "open in Editor". <

Yar, this is really bizarre until you think about it. Motion has compiled a set of parameters that FCP cannot possibly parse. FCP just cannot understand Motion's effects or layer properties so the whole thing now comes in as a single Motion clip.

Think of it this way going the other direction, FCP to Motion: Motion can understand your FCP settings easily because they are only a small subset of its capabilities.

Not to question your workflowÑwhatever works for you is greatÑbut I wouldn't take an entire sequence to Motion, even though it will maintain your separate tracks. I'd only be using Motion for its effects, stuff only Motion can do, and only on those clips that require such.

bogiesan
November 27, 2005 11:42PM
Ya, sounds good.

&quot;A man that does not reply to his own thread after receiving help truly sucketh.&quot;
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics