Motion on Intel Core Duo Mac Mini

Posted by Tim Johnson 
I'm waiting for the eventual release of an Intel Core Duo successor to the Quad G5 (aren't we all) but in the meantime am struggling to complete Motion, AE and FCP projects on a 2Gb/1.67GHz G4 PowerBook. Do people think that a Mac Mini might be a good, cheap interim solution for these apps?

The Mac Mini Intel does not support FCP
[docs.info.apple.com]

Peter

www.peterwiggins.com

Re: Motion on Intel Core Duo Mac Mini
April 01, 2006 12:01AM
Why I am not suprised? Maybe because my "pro" Dual G5 bought some time ago is not good enough for Aperture? System requirements for Apple applications are starting to become almost ridiculous.

A 400 Mhz G4 with 16 MB AGP was good for FCP 5.0 but now a Dual Core Mac Mini is not for 5.1? Heck, the Mac Mini will probably run Maya (when available) and other image creation mega monsters, but not FCP. Give me a break.

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
Re: Motion on Intel Core Duo Mac Mini
April 06, 2006 05:20PM
I do agree that it is unfortunate that current specs have stricken many previous gen machines from being able to run Pro apps on them. But I can't understand why people insist on trying to run Pro apps on the slower machines (like the Mini). They're called "Pro" for a reason, and if you're going to invest in them you have to invest in the hardware too. I wouldn't want Apple to handicap future capabilities of their apps by makig sure they can still run on the slowest machine they make. There are other options (FCE, iDVD) for the consumer machines, otherwise just count on budgeting for a new G5 tower or a fast Macbook Pro in the future.

BTW, I'm running Studio 5.0 and After Effects on an older G4 with maxed out ram and an upgraded video card. Not the fastest beast but it still gets the job done. That being said, I'll probably rip my hair out when they announce that FCP 6.0 will only run on a Quad with 6GB of ram in it winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics