Rounding Off

Posted by Scott Erickson 
Rounding Off
July 03, 2006 11:28AM
what's with certain numeric values rounding off to a major number when i know it goes in between during animation?

two examples...tracking, i want my text to fit in a certain area so i use trackingto scale it down, however, if i say -.5 it jumps to -1 or just to 0. If i animate the tracking it obviously goes through these vales to get to 0 cleanly, why can't i have it stay there? also, the scale rate on grow/shrink, -4 is to slow and -5 is too fast, why can't i choose that middle ground?

its starting to become very frustrating...

also, on a side note, how can i blur the edges on my layers? I tried to crop and feather like in FCP but there is no feather available on the properties tab...maybe its on the crop filter? i'll check...oh, there is no crop filter, i thought i saw one. Man i could even do this in DL *edit, i guess i can mask and feather it...but there should be a better way...

Post Edited (07-03-06 09:32)
Re: Rounding Off
July 09, 2006 05:56PM
You know what, Scott? At least for the tracking property, Motion shows the value as a whole number, but it usually does take the decimal values intro account. If you type a value of 0.6, for example, it will usually behave as desired, but will still show it as 1.0. I say "usually" because sometimes, the whole value sticks when you leave text editing mode. Strange, isn't it? Another related thing: measuring tracking in such a way it's competely non standard. In Photoshop or Illustrator, for instance, tracking also works with whole numbers, but that makes sense because the range is much larger: a change of 1 is completely minimal, you usually twek it in 5 or 10 increments to notice a difference. In Motion, going from 0.5 to 1, or from 1 to 2 means a very large change in the visual tracking result. Go figure...

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
Re: Rounding Off
July 13, 2006 06:22PM
well yes it does take the percentage into consideration but when i move off that text object or click on another one, it reverts to the old setting. Very frustrating and probably my biggest compaint with Motion. I really wish they would get their tracking values in line with rest of the graphic world
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics