Graphics Card

Posted by Olds 
Graphics Card
August 09, 2006 06:57PM
I have a Dual Core 2.0 G5, and am trying to update my graphics card. The problem is that my tower has PCI-Express slots. Anyone know a good PCI-Express Card thats gonna work? I cant seem to find anything.
Re: Graphics Card
August 09, 2006 10:46PM
For good reason! Apple, in it's infinate loop wisdon, seems to have not allowed ATI or Nvidia to build aftermarket PCI express 16 lane video cards. Why??? Who knows?? Seems that Apple shot it's self in the foot with this policy as many others are mad as hell about the lack of UG video cards.

You might nose around www.barefeats.com for additional information.

Post Edited (08-09-06 20:47)
August 10, 2006 12:35AM
I read this week (god knows where, but not in something like Crazy Apple Rumors) that ATI is about to release a version of the X1900 card for the G5. And that they were showing it at SIGGRAPH. So you may get lucky after all. OWC is selling X850s for just $339, but they are for AGP Power Macs only, unfortunately.

Once said that, I'll tell you my opinion about graphics cards and other upgrade options.... yes, you can drop $499 and get an X1900. But, the great thing about Macs is that you can usually let go the old one for, say $1300-$1500 and get (in this case) a shiny Mac Pro for $1000 more. So, $499 for upgrading the graphics card versus $1000 (or less, if you go for the cheaper processors) for upgrading everything. And that includes the graphics card (you get a GeForce 7300, which is not the absolute best but much better than the one you have, and with some help from four Intel cores...). In the last seven years, I switched my main computer three times and in all cases the old one paid for at least 50 per cent of the new one.
Hope this helps

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
August 10, 2006 11:39AM
I know they are releasing the X1900 for The new Mac Pros, but will it be compatibel with my older G5 dual core 2.0?

If I wanted to go the other route and sell my tower, whats the best place/method to sell?
August 10, 2006 06:46PM
ATI is releasing a X1900 for the G5 PCI-e system
this is different from the X1900 that is shipping with the MacPro

David at Movies Rock in Toronto
[www.tofcpug.com]
August 10, 2006 07:51PM
this is different - WHY?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics