Problem usinf motion with final cut pro

Posted by Aspi 
Problem usinf motion with final cut pro
February 23, 2007 08:10AM
Hi guys,

Just a quick question. When I send a final cut pro clip to motion, for example, to add a filter to footage my original clips aspect ratio has changed. It now looks like 4:3 footage on an anamorphic sequence. Can somebody please instruct how to prevent this.

Thanks

Mark
Re: Problem usinf motion with final cut pro
February 23, 2007 08:35AM
In FCP, right-click the clip, select item properties, and put a checkmark in the Anamorphic column
February 23, 2007 04:01PM
hello, aspi & markspencer smiling smiley

quote: "When I send a final cut pro clip to motion, for example, to add a filter to footage my original clips aspect ratio has changed. It now looks like 4:3 footage on an anamorphic sequence."

quote: "In FCP, right-click the clip, select item properties, and put a checkmark in the Anamorphic column"

i'm on a similar project 4:3 anamorphic sequence (shot with a Century anamorphic lens using a 4:3 dv camera). in fcp anamorphic capture, anamorphic sequence, anamorphic checked (like always).

a "Send To Motion Project" looks anamorphic in Motion (so far so good) but on the return roundtrip it gets squished to 4:3 and does not respect anamorphic.

EDIT: OK, I double-checked the anamorphic settings on the Motion anamorphic project everything is as it should be.

in FCP, in the Browser I did a "Hide Column" on the anamorphic column (which is checked). opened the "Show Column" on anamorphic to place it at the front of the column list. Double clicked the Motion project (again) to pop into the Viewer, viola! it corrects to anamorphic, go figure.

FCP did not respect the anamorphic check mark on a control click format anamorphic but when i did above it stretched back out to anamorphic.

amor y paz,
victor smiling smiley
[www.victorfoto.com]
February 23, 2007 04:53PM
Interesting, thanks for posting your solution!
February 23, 2007 05:05PM
hey, mark smiling smiley

quote: "nteresting, thanks for posting your solution!"

this kinda reminds me of the fcp multiclip workaround that sometimes comes up when a clip cannot be added to a multiclip into the viewer, the clip first has to be dropped into the timeline, do an undo, and then it can be added (dragged) to the multiclip.

EDIT: so, I edit in 16x9 all the time using an anamorphic lens. in my anamorphic sequence (anamorphic check box checked) there was also Motion 16x9 graphics. I was not able to make a 4:3 sequence and drop the anamorphic sequence into the 4:3 to letterbox it. I had to export the anamorphic sequence as a QT movie and import it into FCP and into the 4:3 sequence, only then would FCP letterbox the footage.

normally editing in anamorphic and letterboxing it to a 4:3 sequence works but not with Motion 16x9 graphics

amor y paz,
victor smiling smiley
[www.victorfoto.com]
February 24, 2007 08:01AM
Thanks for your help guys. I'm sorted now

Mark AKA Aspi
February 24, 2007 08:09AM
sorry,

Ive just tried following your instructions and my footage still has emptey space to the left and right of it. Any further help would be great.

Thanks

Aspi
February 24, 2007 09:55AM
hello, aspi smiling smiley

quote: "Ive just tried following your instructions and my footage still has emptey space to the left and right of it."

are you first selecting a piece of the footage from the timeline in fcp and control clicking on it and selecting Send To "Motion" Project?

amor y paz,
victor smiling smiley
[www.victorfoto.com]
February 24, 2007 11:17AM
yeah thats what im doing
February 24, 2007 11:25AM
additional info. Ive tried it again and I have noticed that the image changes in fcp as soon as I send it to motion.
February 24, 2007 12:13PM
hey, aspi smiling smiley

quote: "ve tried it again and I have noticed that the image changes in fcp as soon as I send it to motion."

Have you tried without checking Embed "Motion" Content?

I finished my FCP anamorphic Motion Project last night and there definitely are a few quirks not completely ironed out. In my case I think Motion is getting confused when "anamorphic" is checked (it should be checked). I'm thinking it's Motion because the anamorphic workflow I'm using has not changed in the last 6 years, the only thing different in my current workflow is that instead of making a separate Motion credits movie (outside of and independent of FCP) I'm doing it from FCP's Timeline as one project.

amor y paz,
victor smiling smiley
[www.victorfoto.com]
February 24, 2007 03:24PM
Motion, FCP, or both can "forget" the anamorphic flag - you already know how to check it when you get back to FCP. In Motion, you need to select the clip in the Media tab of the Project pane, then go to the Media tab of the Inspector, and check it there.
February 24, 2007 08:39PM
hey, mark smiling smiley

quote: "In Motion, you need to select the clip in the Media tab of the Project pane, then go to the Media tab of the Inspector, and check it there."

now you tell me winking smiley

thanx smiling smiley

amor y paz,
victor smiling smiley
[www.victorfoto.com]
February 26, 2007 02:26PM
Hi guys,

I feel like Ive tried everything and I still cant get it right.

Just so you know exactly what I am doing I'm going to tell you everything.

First I control click my clip (filmed in 16:9 on an anamorphic sequence) and send to 'motion project' from final cut pro. It is as motion loads up that I notice my clip change in final cut pro. It looks as though the clip is squashed together so there is black space on both sides. Ive checked my motion preferences and made sure everything is at 16:9 anamorphic. I have also checked for this in 'project properties' and still there is no change to my clip in fcp. I then control click my clip and view the items properties. It is in here that I notice anamorphic isn't ticked. However even when I tick the box my clip doesn't change. I have tried unticking and ticking the anamorphic box for my clips sequence and this has no effect. I'm even considering deleting motion and reinstalling it, although I'm pretty sure this will be in vein. Thanks to everyone who has had the patience to read this rant. If anyone has any more suggestions I would be more than grateful.

Thanks again

Aspi
February 26, 2007 02:45PM
hello, aspi smiling smiley

at this point what i would suggest is think about a workaround, maybe export a QuickTime movie with "Current Settings" not as a reference but self-contained and import this to Motion and do what you want on it. after this import it to fcp and avoid the Send command since it is not working on your project for now.

EDIT: have tried deleting the Motion Preferences? & also try this OSX maintenance:
[www.victorfoto.com]

smiling smiley

amor y paz,
victor smiling smiley
[www.victorfoto.com]
February 26, 2007 03:03PM
hey dude.

I just tried changing project properties to presentation large and that seems to make it work (Crazy!). I cant see how because my footage framesize is 720X576 and presentation large is 1024X768. Also the aspect ratio in presentation large is square and not dv- pal anamorphic. What do you think. Im going to do what you suggested now to see what that looks like.

Thanks

Aspi
February 26, 2007 03:13PM
quote: "I just tried changing project properties to presentation large and that seems to make it work (Crazy!). I cant see how because my footage framesize is 720X576 and presentation large is 1024X768"

Cool!!!

amor y paz,
victor smiling smiley
[www.victorfoto.com]
February 26, 2007 03:24PM
Ive just tried doing it your way and that works for me too. I may try burning both to dvd to see if the quality is the same and if it is Ill stick with presention large. Thanks for your suggestions. I'm glad its all over.

Laters

Aspi.

Ps Thanks markspencer for your posts too
March 25, 2007 12:30PM
I had the same exact problem and I think I have the solution. All is well untill I go back to FCP (from Motion) where the picture is "squeezed". I double click on the clip and go the the Motion Menu. Under Distort I notice the clips aspect ratio is at 33%. I set it to 0% and all is well!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics