Long Render times in FCS 2

Posted by Scott Erickson 
Long Render times in FCS 2
August 21, 2007 10:47PM
Just wondering if anyone has experienced a very noticeable increase in render times for Motion projects inside of FCP 6 and Motion 3?

Ever since upgrading, we've had some serious render lag on our Motion L3rds, using Master Templates or individual saved out projects. At first I thought it must be due to some server issue when the templates we're redesigned for the Master Template implementation. But now i've taken some projects completely local and there is still a bad lag. Everything else has speed up with the upgrade, especially Compressor but no idea why Motion has gone so downhilll. The template is one rendered out lower third bar and some text on top, not exactly rocket science here, but its slowing down our whole workflow...

Any one else experience this or have any ideas how to overcome this? It's been on every machine too so i know its not an install issue....
Re: Long Render times in FCS 2
August 28, 2007 11:38AM
You don't mention which computer you are using it on?

Motion is seriously affected by the video card and the CPU speeds.
Re: Long Render times in FCS 2
September 02, 2007 07:57PM
I had my first chance to use Motion 3, FCP 6 last week. I have an 8 core machine with 16 gig of ram and the Quadro FX card. My storage is SAN using 4 gig Fibre Channel. About as much hardware as you can thow at this.

I found that templets from Motion don't render well in at all in FCP 6. Often the renders peg a single processor, and lock out the rest of the interface for 15 to 20 seconds at a time. Then the interface comes back, the pegged processor changes and the interface locks again. Render times for a simple 15 second animation are hours.

As for compressor. I tried using that to backgorund render Motioin projects. Unfortunatly about half of them had "glitch" frames.

For the moment I am sticking to rendering in Motion until the next upgrade cycle.

-Vance
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics