What's the purpose of Motion?
August 27, 2007 01:52PM
Seriously,

I have motion, I see a lot of talk of particles, but I don't get what people use it for.

Can someone point me to a video (maybe on YouTube? maybe on your site?) that shows me what Motion can do when you pull out all the stops?

Thanks. I'm just sort-of confused about why this was lauded when it first came out, and every time I see a promo for the NFL I think "Is that Motion at work?"

Mike
Re: What's the purpose of Motion?
August 28, 2007 11:36AM
Motion is a video compositing tool like as in After Effects. Motion is a revolutionary tool as it uses technology that can be used in real time. Unlike, other compositors, Motion can be edited in realtime while watching the changes. Other compositors require you to make a change then do a ram preview, which slows down producction time.
August 28, 2007 01:51PM
Thank you. I've been having trouble getting an answer to this (and similar questions about other, mostly Adobe, programs).

I have been able to find many AE tutorials on line, and in podcasts, but they seem to be lacking for motion. Even on this forum when I asked how to do something, I was referred to AE. (I was drawing a box on the screen. I think someone just asked a similar question about a checkmark and was also referred to After Effects.)

Is it fair to say that Motion is faster, but has fewer capabilities, than After Effects -- and that they are trying to corner the same market?
August 28, 2007 04:40PM
Mike,

Until Motion 3 was shipped, AE was ahead of the game in a major way, but Motion 3 kinda leveled the playing field in lots of ways.

The big differences between apps are how 3D is handled and which keyers are provided. Motion has a fine assortments of particle generators, of which AE needs a plugin to do that.

AE can use true 3D objects but Motion uses 2D objects in 3D space (cameras and lights)

Motions (pros) are EASY to USE! and plenty of templates included. (Cons) are AE is better for really high end compositing where 3D is involved but AE (cons) are still RAM preview wait neceaasay.

I would say that you can do better than 90% of all compositing work in 2D with Motion and leave the other 3D work with AE or Combustion.

Combustion and Shake are resolution independent but all RAM preview based.

""I think someone just asked a similar question about a checkmark and was also referred to After Effects.""

Many of the FCP users here started on AE years ago and are comfortable using it. Motion is really the "new kid on the block" and will take some time to be accepted as a tough guy.
August 28, 2007 04:55PM
Again, thank you.

It looks like I'm going to have to find a good training manual and get my hands dirty.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics