Motion tutorial missing - how would you do this?

Posted by jwilliam 
Motion tutorial missing - how would you do this?
July 01, 2008 08:11PM
So this link promises a cool looking tutorial of video swivelling in 3D and breaking apart into a bunch of boxes.

[www.applemotion.net]

But when you follow through the link is missing.

I'm up for a challenge, and have tried to think my way through how to replicate this effect.

In theory, how would one build an effect like this?

Would you: Use a replicator on a white square and fill up the screen with individual white squares (essentially building a mask/matte), composite the image on top of that matte, then swivel the image in 3D space and use behaviors to make the pieces fly apart?

That's the best I can come up with, but the part that stumps me a little is keeping the image married to the little pieces as they come apart.

Any thoughts? Is there a better approach?
Re: Motion tutorial missing - how would you do this?
July 01, 2008 10:48PM
I did a tutorial kind of based on the tutorial you talk about- same concept, different effect. You'll need to break apart the image in Photoshop or image Ready, and make it into an image sequence.

If you take the image slicing info from this older tutorial: [www.jamesnweber.com]

and combine it with this tutorial: [www.jamesnweber.com]

you'll be able to figure it out. I'm working on a tutorial on how to do that photo wall with video, as well, so watch for that.
July 02, 2008 11:36AM
Sorry about that link, the person who runs that site seems to keep changing things around - I was able to find his tutorial but it doesn't show a correct url, just shows [motion.digk.net].

If you click the Tutorial link on the left, it's tutorial #9
July 02, 2008 05:42PM
Thanks, Mark.

That shatter effect is a little more involved than my original thinking, but it's not out of reach. Except that it uses Adobe's discontinued "ImageReady" to create the image sequence. Does Photoshop have that "divide and slice" capability, do you know?

Great list of links & tutorials you have! I really appreciate it.

Jeff
July 03, 2008 04:31PM
Ok, I fixed the link on the my site, and here's the direct link:

[motion.digk.net]

As James' tutorial shows you, you can slice a photo up right in Photoshop.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics