Capturing from a card

Posted by shelleyrae 
Capturing from a card
July 15, 2008 09:27AM
When you have footage that has been recorded to a card, what is the correct method of capturing? Do you still use the capture window, or just drag and drop the files in a designated media folder?

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: Capturing from a card
July 16, 2008 07:16PM
Shelley,

What kind of card? P2 card from a Panasonic camera maybe?
July 17, 2008 11:30AM
Hi John,

Yes, P2 card.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
July 18, 2008 11:57AM
Shelley,

FCP 6 has Log and Transfer (for P2 cards from panasonic DVCPro formats) feature built in much like the Log and Capture feature.

You need a card reader attached to the MAC that can accomodate the P2 (PCMCIA) format as well.
July 21, 2008 12:41PM
Hi John,

Thanks for the info.

I was mistaken about the format. Actually they are MP4 files on a SD card from a Sanyo Xacti HD2.

I was training someone who just bought FC Express. My student didn't realize when he bought the camera that MP4s are not FC friendly and he doesn't want to have to buy another camera. So I was trying to find the best way to work around the situation.

What we wound up doing is converting the MP4 files to QT via MPEG Streamclip. Then we imported the files into FC Express. We still had to render the QT files in FC Express but the render time was much quicker than using the MP4 files directly in FC Express. I didn't see a Log and Transfer feature in FC Express.

Is there a better way to work with those MP4 files in FC Express?

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
July 21, 2008 01:03PM
Hi Shelley,

I doubt that MP4 files are going to be any friendlier to FCE that FCP. I suspect iMovie is such a consumerish program that it will embrace just about anything out there while a program that is expected to go heads up with AVID will only address professional codecs. FCE is only supposed to do DV and HDV, so no dice for AVCHD or MP4, etc. At least my opinion since I don't have FCE.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics