Roundtripping titles with Motion and FCP

Posted by jenvery 
Roundtripping titles with Motion and FCP
September 16, 2008 04:56PM
HI! Just wondered if I make a title in Motion and then put it into my FCP sequence and then if I want to edit the words of the title sequence by using open in editor, how can I do this without all the title changing? I want matching titles for each section of my video but need to put different words and titles on each. Do I have to save each one separately? Let me know your process! Thanks so much! Jennifer
Re: Roundtripping titles with Motion and FCP
September 17, 2008 12:32PM
Either save separate Motion projects or render out different versions. When I'm making a bunch of lower thirds, I find it faster to just render them out.
September 17, 2008 03:19PM
It seems like that takes up so much more memory space. Its too bad it cant allow editing just the words without having to save it as a whole new file. Just wondered. Thanks!
September 17, 2008 06:16PM
Save your title as a template, then open that template in FCP.

I usually build my lower third titles that way - I create one in Motion, then 'save as template', and then I can title everyone I need to without rendering out individual titles or any of that.
September 18, 2008 01:31AM
That sounds great. Can you change the words and it doesnt change other clips that you used the template with? Thanks!
September 18, 2008 01:54PM
Yep, that's how it works.

Once you're back in FCP, cut the template into your timeline, and double-click it. In one of the tabs in the viewer, you'll be able to edit your text fields.
September 18, 2008 03:50PM
rigt in fcp without going back to Motion? That would be very cool, I will try that. Thanks for a huge time saver!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics