Graphic Card too slow?

Posted by Katrin1980 
Graphic Card too slow?
October 02, 2008 10:43AM
I have a Mac Pro with 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core and 14 GB memory, a cinema display and a second monitor.
I'm currently working in Motion creating an animation with music, camera movement and about 8 layers and 8 lights...all keyframed.
When I reached the third layer I had to reduce render quality to draft and disable the lights to be able to keep on working. Whenever I made a move I had to wait for a couple of seconds for the screen to refresh.
The activity monitor shows that I have enough RAM left and should be able to work without delay...only I can't.
Is that normal? Or is my graphics card (256 MB) too slow?
Or is there a way to tell Motion to use all of the CPUs simultanously?
Re: Graphic Card too slow?
October 02, 2008 11:50AM
The graphics card is the key component for Motion's performance - you didn't say what kind you have, only how much VRAM is on it. If it's the stock card, it's a slow card. The best card for Motion right now by far is this one:

[www.barefeats.com]
October 02, 2008 11:51AM
Also, using two monitors splits the VRAM on the card, further hurting performance.
October 02, 2008 12:12PM
Hi Mark, thanks for your reply. jap, I have the standard card.
Ok, so I'll try to get this ATI card...218 dollars isn't even expensive. thanks!winking smiley
October 10, 2008 10:23AM
I bought the ATI 3870 two week ago. Nice card and very quiet. Don't forget to plug in the power cable to the mother board...
October 12, 2008 04:19AM
I don't have it yet and looking forward to find out how much faster things will work then.
October 29, 2008 11:27AM
I got the new card yesterday but somehow it's not as fast as I expected. sad smiley
Should I keep the old card installed and work with the new ATI and the old one? Am I doing something wrong or is it normal that Motion is so slow once I'm working with 10 layers, 10 lights and behaviours ect. ?
October 29, 2008 06:14PM
You can bring any Motion system to its knees with enough blurs, lights, particles, long project, etc.

You might want to check out this article:

[provideocoalition.com]
October 30, 2008 04:45AM
Oh thanks, that helped...especially setting in and out points. It's only a 25 seconds timeline but with a looooot of layers and lights. Turning off the lights is very useful too.
But the most effective is deconnecting the second monitor!
October 30, 2008 08:29AM
Good to know, thanks for posting back.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics