Unable to Export Motion Project

Posted by Nick Munning 
Unable to Export Motion Project
November 10, 2008 09:14AM
I've searched all over for the answer to my problem and have tried every trick provided on this site and Apple's.

I'm not a professional and am relatively new to both FCP & Motion but have had no problem exporting either one of these with prior projects which were smaller. This is about 900 MB from what I can tell (I've not been able to fully export the entire file using Quick time so I'm not sure of the exact size).

I've created a project using still images and I suppose what might be considered as a lot of objects using particle emitters and behaviors. Near the end of the project I started noticing that there were places where the play head would stop although the music would continue and then the play head would catch up. Then when I tried to export it would go about 3/4 of the way then crash (Motion would unexpectedly quit). At first I used the default exporting then after several failed attempts I've tried other methods including Robert Moore's, "Out put Your Project with Alpha". I did do it that way on a small file like he suggested and it worked fine. So I think it may have to do with the size of my file.

Here is my computer Info:
Machine Name: Power Mac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac7,3
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.1)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2.7 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 4.5 GB
Bus Speed: 1.35 GHz

ATI Radeon 9650: VRAM 256

Any suggestions? Thank you. Nick
Re: Unable to Export Motion Project
November 10, 2008 10:17AM
What output settings are you using? Are you using Compressor or outputting through Quicktime? And what is your destination?
November 10, 2008 01:27PM
Hi Mark, I tried using Compressor (I've never used it before) and I got an "error" message. Destinations have been either to my DESKTOP or MOVIES file on my hard drive.

Do you think the hesitations and finally crashing before the project reaches the end (about 5 1/2 minutes long) has to do with my processor, memory, or what?

Thanks for your help and concern. Nick
November 10, 2008 01:29PM
Could be that you are running out of memory. I'd try exporting an image sequence in sections, then exporting from QT to your destination format. You still didn't tell me what export settings you are using or what your target destination is.
November 10, 2008 01:38PM
I forgot to mention about the output settings. I've tried several different ones. I'm not at my home computer at this time so I can't be specific, but I've tried the usual ones except "animation".
November 10, 2008 01:50PM
I guess I don't know what you mean by the target destination. I'm trying to send it via QT is that what you mean?
November 10, 2008 03:26PM
I mean, what are you going to use the video for? Is it for broadcast SD, HDTV, web, etc - your destination determines your compression settings.
November 10, 2008 04:09PM
Gottcha! I want to first make a good DVD for just personal, family, and friends. I also want to put it onto You Tube which I have recently learned to do (with difficulty and am open to suggestions) with a couple of FCP projects. Music accompanies the still videos using transitions and graphics in Motion. I want to learn to use DVD Studio (I have FCP Studio), but may have to use IDVD until I'm ready. I'll have the output settings for you this evening when I get home. It was on this site that I was exposed to Motion. Thanks again.
November 10, 2008 11:18PM
Back again, Mark, and hopefully with information that will be useful to you. I must say, that I have tried a multiple of ways of exporting using various suggestions form people on this site as well as Apple.

Destination: Home DVD (but I work at getting the best quality without going pro).

Export Presets (I've changed them around): DV NTSC Movie and Lossless + Alpha Movie

Project Presets: I started with NTSC Broadcast SD and when that didn't work changed to NTSC DV per Apple's info.

Project Properties: First I tried NTSC Broadcast SD, 8 bit, Pixel Aspect Ratio NTSC D1/D2; I also tried NTSC DV.

My usual path was: File>Export> Kind: QT Movie, Export Preset: DV NTSC Movie, Video & Audio, (checked) Play Range. The export would sometimes work up to 6000 + frames and varying numbers to about 8600 frames then just go no farther until it would crash. When I tried to open the QT Movie (I guess that was partially completed) I got the message: "This is not a movie file".

Should I be using a 4:3 or 16:9?

I've read on this site about trashing presets, is that something I should do? Will it screw up anything?

Thanks again for your help.
November 11, 2008 08:25AM
If you are making a DVD with iDVD, then NTSC-DV is correct for everything; 4:3 is correct unless you are working with anamorphic video.

Your project is extremely long for a Motion project - normally you shouldn't be longer than a minute or two. Usually you are just creating a title sequence or some effects on a couple of clips that you sent to Motion from FCP.

One way around this is to export sections of your project as image sequences by setting different play ranges, then use QT to open all the image sequences and export from QT to DV-NTSC.
November 11, 2008 09:47AM
Okay, I will try the image sequence route. Thanks for enlightening me in regards to Motion being only for short durations. That explains why I've been reading about the interaction between FCP & Motion.

1) So if I want to make a DVD using DVD Studio Pro 4 should I use the NTSC Broadcast SD preset?

You previously asked me about Compressor and I said that it gave me an error warning window. Perhaps another problem I have is causing this:

When I created a movie from FCP I used some of the same pics as I am trying to use in this new Motion project. Here's my problem - In the file browser some of the pics I used in the other FCP project come up with a white page with the top right corner peeling back. The file name changes to Pict (####).psdsad smileyfile number). I can click on the blank white page and view it in the Preview Area but it doesn't show up in the Viewer.

2) How can I correct this and do you know what caused it?

3) I'm using .psd files and keep getting the message: "Media too large to render at full resolution and will be shown at lower quality. The maximum size is 2048x2048. My psd's are 2000x3008 @ 240 dpi. Should I be using jpeg's?

4) Should I trash my presets?

Thanks again.
November 11, 2008 11:33AM
I really don't know where to start.

Your large pictures are the problem. You shouldn't be using anything larger than you need to zoom into to maintain at or close to 100%. It's not a psd vs jpeg issue - it's a number of pixels issue - you are exceeding the capabilities of your graphics cards. You should resize all your photos in another application to the minimum you need. Read this:

[www.motionsmarts.com]

If you are going to use DVDSP, you need to either export using Compressor to create the .m2v and .ac3 files or just bring the Motion project itself directly into DVDSP.

Your questions cover a very large area of topics - I'd really suggest some training...
November 11, 2008 05:24PM
You've been a big help just filling me in. I can certainly adjust image size and use your other suggestions. I do use the beginners manuals for FCP & Motion, but I haven't seen where they give me the kind of info you have - particular to my situation. That article on resizing is exactly the kind of info I need to know. I do live in the sticks, Salmon, ID, so internet education is the only way for me. I do plan on going thru the tutorials on this website.

I agree, a course is what I need, but you got me pointing in the right direction.

Thanks, Nick
Re: Unable to Export Motion Project - UPDATE!
November 17, 2008 05:13PM
Mark, you hit the nail on the head. My photo files were too large. I read the article you referred me to and re-did the project - and ooola! all went well. Thanks again, Nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics