Can Motion handle files larger than 4K?

Posted by Ben Ged Low 
Can Motion handle files larger than 4K?
January 09, 2009 05:38PM
I heard a rumor that, depending on processor speed and video card, it was possible to work in 8K in Motion. Is that just a rumor?

I'm working on an IMAX film and am trying to figure out if there is any way I can employ Motion in the pipeline to do some graphic work.

All ears,

Ben
Re: Can Motion handle files larger than 4K?
January 09, 2009 09:18PM
It is true that some video cards support up to 8K resolution.
January 10, 2009 08:32AM
So it's the video card that makes the difference. How would I find out which video card? Something that goes in the tower? Or are we talking more like a Kona card?
January 10, 2009 09:37AM
It's the graphics card - the best card right now for a Mac Pro is this one:

[provideocoalition.com]
January 11, 2009 08:36AM
Thank you very kindly marspencer,

I had proposed doing these maps (an IMAX film) in Motion ... not sure I was being foolish. My dear brother, whose film this is, leaped at the possibility. Now I have to figure the reality. He thinks that the maps would work even in 4K (the film is going to be posted as straight IMAX, very little digital ... but they've done a lot of tests on another IMAX (3D) they are making, with a LOT of digital, and figure they can get away with 4K in many instances (though 3D does tend to double the amount of info on the screen, and 4K then has a lot more seeming resolution). But this film needing the map is a full blown, no digital apart from the maps, and not 3D.

I'm wondering if there is a way I can do the work all in 2K, to be able to work faster, and then bump it higher at the last export? In the old Motion I seem to remember that you couldn't change the preferences of a project once the work was done ... coz all the sizes of the layers remained the same, only the frame changed ... and then you had to re-size and reposition everything.

Any suggestions on this point? Work in 2K, output as 4, 6 or even 8K?

Ben
January 12, 2009 10:14PM
Honestly, I'd do this in AE. You will have an easier time of it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics