Motion Crashes after installing new fonts

Posted by shelleyrae 
Motion Crashes after installing new fonts
January 19, 2009 03:29PM
Hi,

I just added a few fonts to my font folder from www.1001freefonts.com.

Now Motion is crashing and giving me a message something like it "could be related to an Ozone third party plug in."

Since I just added new fonts, I'm thinking this is the problem.

Is there a way to fix this without having to reinstall my software?

I guess there is no such thing as a free font, either.

Shelley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: Motion Crashes after installing new fonts
January 19, 2009 03:43PM
Very dangerous Shelley...adding fonts from a free font site without scanning them for damage. One damaged font in the system fonts folder can bring down the house. This is why I use Suitcase Fusion to manage my thousands of fonts OUTSIDE the system font folder:

[www.extensis.com]

It scanns & repairs damaged fonts and gives you the option of deleting unrepairable fonts. Worth every penny of the $99.95. I would remove those fonts from your fonts folder & reboot.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 21, 2009 07:14PM
Thanks for the warning, Joe.

Actually, I trashed my preferences and it's been working fine since then. Hope it's not a fluke that trashing prefs would fix it and I don't have a time bomb waiting to go off...

Should I still remove the fonts anyway?

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
January 31, 2009 07:11PM
I would.

I personally NEVER put fonts in my system fonts folder. On startup, the system searches through that directory and if you have a corrupt font, it could prevent your system from booting. Very difficult to detect.

I have over 4000 fonts on my system and none of them are in my fonts folder. I use Extensis Suitcase Fusion to manage my fonts from a separate fonts folder OUTSIDE of my system. This software manages / detects corruption / fixes or deletes unrepairable fonts to keep my system running smooth. For $99, it's a no-brainer:

[www.extensis.com]

February 01, 2009 08:36AM
I have no experience managing fonts, so I will take your advice and remove the free fonts I loaded immediately.

I just go to the font folder and drag the 3rd party ones to the trash and empty? That's all I have to do to remove them? There are no other residual files associated with them hiding in other folders on my system?

Now--when I do get an font management application such as Extensis Suitcase, how do I get all my existing fonts that are installed from Motion, LiveType, CS3, etc. into that font managment application?

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
February 01, 2009 10:46AM
There are no residual files associated with fonts outside the fonts folder...just drag the fonts to the trash / empty / restart.

Fonts that are installed by Apple Pro Apps / Adobe apps are generally safe so no need to move those. It's the "FREE" fonts I would manage carefully (you don't know where they've been winking smiley). In your main "Macintosh HD", create a folder called "managed_fonts" or whatever you like and put all "FREE" or non-system fonts in there. I have mine arranged in alphabetically ordered folders. I also have a few separate folders with different font names given to me by clients (client names are on them). Within Fusion, you will add those fonts to the app from within the app.

Fusion sees all fonts in your system automatically and labels them accordingly (if you have fonts in your System folder, they will be labeled "System Fonts"winking smiley. Fonts outside of the System will have to be "Added" to Fusion. You will have an option to override System fonts with Suitcase fonts. Once added, you can "Activate & Deactivate" individual font families & see previews of the fonts. You can create a favorite group of fonts and control them. Always scan all fonts for corruption & avoid duplicates. You can choose to try to "repair" them if they are damaged, but I suggest removing those ASAP.

Look over the website and what you can do with this amazing app. Fusion 2 features are here:

[www.extensis.com]

February 03, 2009 06:52PM
I did the same download shelley, and it was screwing up my PS & Motion. With my particular problem i found that it was the Arial Fonts. and 2 really weird and very ugly and unusable fonts. Forgot the name.

You font book can find most of the bad ones but the tool that was mentioned would be the best for this.

My PS still will not allow me to pick any font below Boner. So basically I use # - B in PS. I am getting that tool.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
February 04, 2009 11:52AM
Well I got side tracked finishing a project and now it's been so long since I downloaded those free fonts, I can't remember then names of all of them.

Is there any way to distinguish 3rd party fonts from the system fonts - like the file extension? If not, will that extensis font manager fix any corrupt fonts that have already been loaded?

So far I haven't experienced any further weirdness, but sure would like to prevent any future mishaps.

Like I said I when I found all the free fonts, I thought, "wow this is cool" and downloaded a whole bunch but now can't remember all the names sad smiley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
February 04, 2009 12:49PM
Yes...Suitcase will hit you with a window that will alert you when it comes across a corruption. You will have the choice of repair or delete. Sometimes fonts can't be repaired so you simply remove it from the hard drive immediately.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics