Object tearing upon horizontal movement

Posted by Dan Brockett 
Object tearing upon horizontal movement
February 28, 2009 04:51PM
Hi:

I am a relative newbie to Motion so there is probably a simple, easy answer for this and I am just too inexperienced to know it.

FCS 2.0
Motion 2.12

I create a title card in Motion, using a portion of the Seasons template, the moving ocean background. I try to fly a simple graphic in from the left or right over the ocean BG. Looks great in Motion, in the canvas. When I use the finished comp in FCP (the .motn file), in an NTSC DV timeline, the graphic element I composited over the beach BG tears and stutters it's way in before it parks itself. Overall, the composition looks sharp but anytime I move the graphic horizontally, I get bad tearing.

So I go back into Motion and try exporting QTs rather than just opening the .motn file on FCP. I try all of the export options, field rendering alone, motion blending alone, field rendering and motion blending together. Export QTs (NTSC DV, lower field first) from Motion. No matter which combination of options I use for export, I am still getting this nasty tearing in the NTSC timeline.

Any ideas on what I am doing or not doing that is causing this tearing in NTSC? I even tried exporting a progressive QT from Motion, but still when placed on the FCP timeline, it tears.

I have noticed this tearing effect before then using NSTC footage in comps or as BG elements, why do I always get the tearing when I try to move the footage around within the comp? If I place the same element over a plain black BG, it doesn't seem to tear, it seems that I only get tearing when I try to integrate graphics of any kind in motion with NTSC footage.

Please enlighten me, I dig Motion but am becoming reticent to try to use it with any kind of live footage.

Thanks,

Dan Brockett
Re: Object tearing upon horizontal movement
March 01, 2009 07:32PM
Have you tried setting the field dominance to "None" in Motion? (Edit > Project Properties)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics