Need Help with Motion WorkFlow

Posted by shelleyrae 
Need Help with Motion WorkFlow
April 15, 2009 05:25PM
Hi,

I don't understand how to add transitions when working in Motion. I am making a tribute video using all stills. I built my timeline in FC. I want to bring it into Motion and add a background and some nice animated type then bring it back into FC and add various transitions between my stills. (Some slow dissolves, some Volumetrix Glow transitions from the FX Factory Plug in package, etc.)

If I add the transitions before I send it to Motion, Motion doesn't take the transitions. But I can't add the transitions after sending to Motion either because my sequence comes back into FC nested.

I don't see anywhere in Motion where I can add transitions between clips with the exception of fade in and out.

Can someone please tell me how I can get transitions other than fade in and out when working with Motion Projects?

A quick response would be greatly appreciated, I need to have this finished tonight in time for the service.

Many Thanks,

Shelley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: Need Help with Motion WorkFlow
April 16, 2009 08:40AM
I answered this in your private message - but just for others: transitions, filters, and generators don't make the trip from FCP to Motion so you need to work with that fact. One way is to do all your transitions in Motion by creating them yourself.
April 17, 2009 08:03AM
For those who may have a similar question, here what I wound up doing:

I cut the sequence together in FC with no transitions. I duplicated my video track and sent the duplicate to Motion for reference. I built my titles, background, particle layers. Then exported each layer separately (without the video reference). Once back in FC, I placed all my layers in appropriate order and then added my stock transitions to the clips.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
April 18, 2009 01:10AM
Smart. Very nice. Thanks for posting back.
April 21, 2009 08:59AM
But Jude Cotter had a better idea. She recommended:

"My recommendation would be to build in handles before you send out to Motion. So, in the timeline, make them all, say, one second too long, then send out to motion, add fx leaving the one second handles top and tail of each clip, then back to fcp, trim off the handles, add transitions."

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
April 22, 2009 08:04AM
Except that it won't work. Not when you send all your clips over at once. It could work when you send each clip independently, but that would would defeat the purpose of sending the ciips to Motion in the first place.
April 22, 2009 09:52AM
If you're sending the whole thing over with handles on either side of the clips then send to Motion, add your titles and backgrounds, etc. then and back to FC -- even though it becomes a nested one-clip sequence, why couldn't you just blade between each clip and add the transitions in FC since now each clip is longer with sufficient handles and the effects from Motion. I think that's what Jude meant. I haven't actually tried this method yet because I finished my project using individual Motion layers as I explained in a few posts ago.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
April 23, 2009 08:45PM
I really don't think that will work but haven't tested it - it just doesn't make sense that it would work. If you add an edit point to a Motion project embedded in an FCP sequence, that doesn't give you access to handles in the underlying FCP clips that you sent to Motion - it just gives you handles on the Motion project itself.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics