Curve and Glass Pane Transition Template in Motion

Posted by shelleyrae 
Curve and Glass Pane Transition Template in Motion
January 27, 2010 03:25PM
Hi,

I'd like to use either the "Glass Pane" or "Curves" transition that is in the Motion Templates but I can't figure out how to make it work in my FC timeline. How do I apply the effect between my edits?

I see that I can open the Template transition from the drop down menu in the browser window. Then the properties open in the FC Browser window and I see that there are drop zones to fill. I figured I'm supposed to drag my out going and incoming clips from the timeline into those drop zones. I did that but then the effect only appears in the browser. Am I supposed to then cut that into my sequence? If so how do I know what frame to start and end it? I'm just not clear on how to do this.

Can someone please explain step by step how to use these two transition templates?

Thanks a lot,

Shelley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: Curve and Glass Pane Transition Template in Motion
January 27, 2010 09:37PM
The idea is to use content from your Browser, not the timeline - you can't have a clip go "into" the template and "out of" the template.

Best way to use one is to select your sequence, then choose Sequence > Add Master Template. This brings up the Master Template Browser. Choose a theme, choose a template in that theme, and then choose how to edit it into your sequence.

The template automatically loads back up into the Viewer and the Controls tab comes forward, where you can drag in clips from your browser and type in your own text.
January 27, 2010 11:45PM
If I use clips from the browser to load into the drop zone and then try to recut that back into the timeline then everything is out of sync. It doesn't know where to start and end the transition and I have to try and eyeball it so that after the transition my timeline is still in sync. I'm just not getting this. I simply want to add the curves transition between two clips in my timeline and have the rest of the clip that follows smoothly continue on playing after the transition resolves. Creating the transition using the Master Clip feature in the browser by using raw clips in the browser doesn't make sense because how does it know what part of the clip is the start and end of the transition? Its just randomly selects the out point and in point of the raw browser clips and creates the transition between the two raw clips in browser so when I cut it back into the timeline it doesn't match up at all. Even if I set an in and out on the browser clips I get the same undesired result.

Sorry to seem dense, but will you please give me a better explanation on how to accomplish this.
Thanks, Mark.

Shelley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
January 28, 2010 02:56PM
A Master template is NOT a transition and can't be used as a transition. You need to think of it as it's own self-contained clip that can't interact with clips before or after it, unless you create handles and add a transition to the edit point. It seems you are trying to do something for which the templates are not intended - perhaps instead you should consider using an alpha transition:

[wpc.107C.edgecastcdn.net]
January 28, 2010 03:25PM
Oh, I see. I guess I was confused because for "Glass Panes" and "Curves" master templates there is a "transitional" template. Those are just other options for openers then?

I did watch the movie on working with alpha transitions. I would love to be able to create my own alpha transitions. I understand that I can make a transition movie out of just about any object moving across a transparent background but I don't get how to make the white / black travel matt that reveals the incoming clip. Is there a tutorial anywhere that shows how to make the movies you would use for the alpha transitions, specifically the white/black travel matt?

Hope I'm not busting your chops, I just really want to understand how to do this.

Thanks, Mark.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
January 30, 2010 09:47AM
Well I have a chapter on exactly how do it in my Motion 4 Fast Forward training, which covers

Alpha Transitions

How Alpha Transitions Work
Understanding the Clipwells
Understanding the Alpha Matte
Understanding the Wipe Matte
Summarizing the Clipwell Functions
Creating a Full Frame Transition in Motion
Using a Motion Project as a Transition Clip
Modifying the Alpha Transition
Creating a Wipe Alpha Transition in Motion
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics