ProRes 4444 alpha in Motion

Posted by VPiccin 
ProRes 4444 alpha in Motion
October 16, 2010 12:38PM
I just had something strange happen, and I wonder if anyone else sees this. I made an animation in Motion and exported using Prores 4444 with alpha. When I used the animation in FCP in my rough cut all was well. When I went back to Motion to finish the section and composite my pre-baked animation with other elements parts of the Motion program don't recognize the alpha.

I say parts, because the Media tab show that the alpha channel exists, the little icons in the project pain show the element as cut out. However, in the composition the animation acts as if the alpha is full frame from the source movie. If I view the alpha channel in the view window, it shows full frame, and viewing using the normal "color" mode shows the animation over a full frame black background.

Not a huge deal, as I just re-rendered the element in "animation" codec and all is fine. Just curious, anyone else have problems getting Motion to see ProRes alpha that the program itself creates?

BTW I did the usual stuff, restart the program, reboot the computer and dump preferences.

-Vance
Re: ProRes 4444 alpha in Motion
October 19, 2010 08:23PM
Yes, I had this problem. No clever solutions. I ended up just using the Motion project file, and rendering in FCP. I haven't finished yet, though, and when I do I'll hope I can make the export work on second try.
October 20, 2010 07:38AM
So your exports did not have alpha that FCP would recognize? I didn't have a problem with that, it was only when I brought the export into a different Motion project that the alpha was an issue.

-V
November 23, 2010 02:18PM
This bug is known : only one solution : crop your footage in motion (1 px is enough) and the transparency 's back !
November 23, 2010 06:43PM
Thanks Val I'll give that a try!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics