Motion 4 audio issue

Posted by Steve Douglas 
Motion 4 audio issue
August 13, 2012 06:22PM
Was given some shaky footage from a friend's iPhone and tried to stabilize it in FCPX. Bottom line, it was too shaky to stabilize without creating a very wavering effect. Okay, no big deal, I didn't think it was usable anyhow. Never the less, I decided to see what I could do in Motion 4 so I imported it there as a new saved project and added the stabilize behavior which took awhile as the whole clip was roughly 8,000 frames. That done, I went to export and here is my question ,simply as a learning tool for myself.
When the export window opened up, I noticed that the default setting was 'Video Only'. The 'Audio Only' and 'Video and Audio' settings were both grayed out. I went into the advanced window where the audio was listed as it should be with the proper settings, and closed it and hit export. Sure enough, after export, only the video was there. Why was the 'Video Only' the only setting I could use. Why were the other two grayed out?

This is not an emergency situation, just want to learn from it.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
Re: Motion 4 audio issue
August 13, 2012 07:03PM
Very strange, never seen that before. Also, the stabilizer in Motion is exactly the same as the one in FCP so you shouldn't expect different results...
August 14, 2012 12:26PM
Hey Mark,
I really didn't expect different results in Motion just thought I would try it since I rarely open Motion in the first place. The audio thing is what I am really puzzled about tho'. I don't own an iPhone so maybe, and I don't know, the audio that is recording in the iPhone is a different type, maybe PCM or something. Don't know why the export choices would be grayed out. That is really what I want to learn. The footage itself appears unusable. While I am here, when using an iPhone to film is there a proper way to hold it horizontally; could flipping from the vertical to horizontal be an issue?
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
August 15, 2012 09:00AM
Steve, you need to make sure the phone is held horizontally when you start recording, otherwise you'll get a vertical video, which I'm vehemently opposed to:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics