Multi User Soundtrack Pro and FCP 5 Projects

Posted by David Ligorner 
Multi User Soundtrack Pro and FCP 5 Projects
September 13, 2006 02:42PM
I work in a enviornment where projects are constantly shared and passed back and forth between editors. All media is stored on SAN MP fiber, except render files, sfx and sometimes music...

As a company we want to upgrade to FCP 5 and Soundtrack PRO, but we are having issues with the "Send to" Soundtrack feature in the FCP timeline.

Here's the problem: When you send a file to Soundtrack and name it, it creates a new reference file in the timeline. That file in turn is associated with the render.mov file which is revealed when you show packages in the newly named file. If i was to process this file in soundtrack, the new file would reference the render.mov file-which cannot be renamed.

Now, If I was to pass this project to another editor, the soundtrack info won't transfer properly to the other editor, unless I gave them this render.mov file. In additon, if that editor was to make more changes to the same audio file it would overwrite the current render.mov and so ,if they we're to give me back the project, the project would now reference the render.mov file on my local machine and we basically have a big mess.

Is there a way to share soundtrack "processes" within a multi user enviornment without becomming destructive to past processes. We've consulted Apple on this to no avail...
Re: Multi User Soundtrack Pro and FCP 5 Projects
September 14, 2006 11:44AM
As far as I understand, the process of sending to is limited to one environment or user. Since the files are really a link to the original media, each applciation makes appropriate changes to the original media and it becomes reflected to that application and the one(s) that it came from.

At least. that is what I understand.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics