audio not there when reopening project

Posted by camshaft 
audio not there when reopening project
April 05, 2007 03:14PM
My system is a Mac G5 dual, 2 gigs ram, with Final Cut Studio, STP v1.1, audio is firewire out following video through a Datavideo Dac 10 converter, playing through audio monitors with apple-F12 to bypass computer speakers.

I have exported FCP>STP multi-track project, open up one clip (non-destructive) in editor (waveform) to replace with ambient sound. All is good here. When I close out, and re-open project, the clip I did the process to is not coming through the monitors. The meters show there is sound, but, nothing coming out of speakers. At one point, there was very little activity showing on the waveform, as if the audio was down to nil. This is for both project and audio file. The other clips in project come through, but not the processed clip. I have trashed prefs, redone the entire process three times, saved to both external hard drive and internal, saved with both referencing only and including files. I'm thinking maybe a corrupted clip, and may have to re-import into FCP, but I would think that would show up in FCP.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Cameron Young
Re: audio not there when reopening project
April 07, 2007 09:51AM
How many tracks of audio did you export to STP? If it was over two, you can't get them back into FCP. You need to mixdown multiples of 3 or more to two to bring them back into FCP.
April 07, 2007 01:51PM
Thanks, John

There was only two tracks of audio exported to STP, six short clips. I was taking some horribly recorded audio (interview style SOTs) to play with after doing a tutorial. I'm aware that after sending to Multi-track Project, the mix has to be exported/imported for FCP. The problem is with STP, or.......a corrupted clip. Someone did mention from another site, that sometimes the processes may have to be flattened after completing work in waveform.

I will try to find the answer this weekend, will let you know how it goes.

Cameron Young
April 09, 2007 05:54PM
John,

I played around with this problem, and although I don't know why it happens, there is a work-around.

Mark Bremmer gets all the credit for this. He says some processes do not save well.

Before quitting STP, flatten all actions in waveform. The affected file in waveform and corresponding clip in multi-track came back fine when re-opening.

Mark also mentioned making a duplicate of the audio file before flattening, so that there is a copy of the work done in waveform, in case the pesky "no audio" problem does not appear.

Sounds like a STP glitch.

Cameron Young
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics