Audio Midi Setup and Soundtrack Pro (FCS2)

Posted by Nick Baer 
Audio Midi Setup and Soundtrack Pro (FCS2)
May 23, 2007 01:43PM
In my brand new Soundtrack pro as part of Final Cut Studio 2, the option for 5.1 Sorround Sound is not present. The manual says to first run Apps > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup.

In Audio Midi Setup > Configure Speakers > Miltichannel the options for anything other than Stereo are grey.

I have a G5 with headphones and Optical Out. In Audio MIDI Setup, I have the Audio output set for Digital Out, Encoded Digital Audio. I have my new SONY amp and speakers connected via Optical Cable.

I have 5.1 Surround Sound test files. They play fine through Quicktime! One of the test files is spoken word, and all SIX speakers are tested individually - so I know a DTS signal is being sent because I can hear him speak in each of the SIX speakers isolated one at a time- not just one sound that plays through all 6 speakers.

No matter what combinations of settings, all options other than Stereo are grey.

Some time ago, I did have a internal PCI card installed for 7.1 sound, with driver. In Preferences > Sound I did remove the icon(s) for 3rd party sound. Do I need to snoop around my drive for software drivers that is preventing Audio MIDI Setup from seeing the Optical out?

G5 Mac OS X (10.4.9)
Re: Audio Midi Setup and Soundtrack Pro (FCS2)
May 24, 2007 03:14AM
I solved the first step of the problem!

I installed the Upgrade from FCS 1. I had all of the icons for FCS 1 apps in the Dock.

The Installer automatically updated the Finder locations associated with the aliases for all of the FCS 2 apps in the Dock, EXCEPT for Soundtrack Pro. So when I clicked on the STP icon in the Dock, I was actually opening the old STP 1.1 . I located the new STP 2 and fixed the alias for the icon in the Dock.

I still cannot get Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup to properly work with the Built-In Audio Optical Out... which means I cannot get STP 2 to go into Surround Sound mode.

The STP Pro manual makes frequent mention to the Optical Output as a port to connect 3rd Party hardware to. (Other options are USB and FW). Part of me is still thinking that my previous foray into 5.1 sound left drivers in the Preferences folder which I am going to need to track down.

On a sadder note, I ran Audio MIDI Setup utility on my iMac 20, and it shows NOTHING except for the built in speakers. I am very sad about this, because STP relies on Apple Core Audio and something is amiss.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics