multi track record

Posted by Jan Muchnikoff 
multi track record
May 08, 2005 09:14PM
Hello

Can anyone tell me if soundtrack pro can do
muti track recording????

what i mean is record to more than 1,2or 3 tracks at one time.

I am hoping that it does

regards
jan
Re: multi track record
May 08, 2005 09:40PM
from what I have heard from someone who went to NAB it is a single stereo track record (which is what MOST video editors need for recording Voice Over)

if you need to record multiple inputs at once on discret tracks you would need to use Garageband, Logic express, or Logic Pro

David at Movies Rock in Toronto
[www.tofcpug.com]
May 09, 2005 09:21AM
I did not see any evidence that STP can record (track) at NAB. Soundtrack is a loop based content manager. All the media in Soundtrack (now) and STP are the Apple loops provided or loops added to ST.

While I am sure you can bring .aiff into STP, it does not - unless I am sorely mistaken - (and I watched all those STP quicktour's on the Apple web site) - allow a recording function in STP.

However, using GarageBand it is fairly easy to record (track) up to 8 tracks at a time and bring that into STP for mixing.
May 09, 2005 10:44AM
Hi

I have soundtrack (not Pro)
and i can record into it, with no problem through my motu 828 on
one track!

Please if some one has the software (SoundtrackPro) please let me Know if you can record multi tracks at once????

regards
jan
May 09, 2005 12:12PM
nobody has it yet or if they do they can't say
BUT

From what I have heard from 2 sources who were at NAB STP can record a single stereo track (sutable for Voice overs) just like ST

[www.tofcpug.com]
May 10, 2005 11:46AM
Where's the Crows Nest? I gotta go there! EAT - EAT CROW!!

To my absolute amazement - Soundtrack DOES record two tracks!!

I am astounded! In my ignorance - I never realized that Soundtrack could actually record (track).

GULP!

John Foley
May 10, 2005 01:02PM
No eating crow

Alot of people use sound track for different things.

a little investigating
on the apple sight the soundtrack pro videos
do show a record button on each track and a record button on the main transport as with alot of DAWs.

Iam hoping that there is mutitrack recording that would make it ideal for what i want to do.

just waiting to find out smiling smiley

Does anyone know if any apple stores have the new software up and running as demos???

regards
jan
May 10, 2005 01:08PM
No demos yet. When it ships I'm sure there will be plenty

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 11, 2005 01:16PM
This is what i found for FCP 5
can't see why not for soundtrack pro

Audio
Multichannel audio with support for up to 24 channels in and out
Onscreen multitrack mixing console
External control surface support
Soundtrack Pro integration for audio mixing and sound design.
Real-time fader automation
Variable keyframe thinning
Real-time audio filters and effects
Real-time audio filter adjustments during playback
OMF audio export
Subframe audio keyframing to 1/100th of a frame
Sampling at 8kHz to 96kHz and 8 to 24 bits
Audio level meters (per track)
Mac OS X Audio Units plug-in support
Pan controls
Mute and solo controls
Audio waveform display in Timeline
Logarithmic audio fades
Scrubbing with or without pitch shifting
More than 25 audio filters

regards
jan
May 11, 2005 02:08PM
I asked the Moderators on the Apple site to get a clarification from the developers on it

everyone who went to NAB that I have talked to says it is a SINGLE STEREO TRACK record (suitable for Voice-over or ADR)

I will post back when there is a clarifaction posted

[www.tofcpug.com]
May 11, 2005 02:22PM
Excuse my ignorance but what not capture into FCP 5 and bring the tracks into STP since FCP 5 now supports multi channel audio or is that different?

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 12, 2005 05:41PM
Yes you can if you have a card that will accept multiple channels of audio in & out of the Mac.

I've just spent the past couple of hrs browsing the pdf manual for SoundTrack Pro. Very impressive for a version 1 app. Sure there will be people who will dump on it because it doesn't have surround sound or OMF export. Like everyone else the developers have to prioritise their work in which features to implement in the initial release. I think they have made the right choise and are to be congratulated on their acomplishment.

For the upcomming year my learning curves priorities are in the following order:

1. ST Pro
2. FCP 5
3. Motion 2 & LiveType 2
4. DVD SP4

Sure glad I started using FCP over 5 yrs ago & picked up the Prroduction Bundle last year. I don't envy anyone trying to digest the Studio package for the 1st time. As it is I think I may have a hard time absorbing all the new stuff. Hope there's not another major upgrade for 2 years. Of course something new will have to be offered at next year's NAB but hopefully it will be like 4.5 was to verr. 4.

Dave
May 12, 2005 05:56PM
Thanks Dave. Find anything else cool in the manual, post it

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 12, 2005 09:25PM
where in the PDF???

jan
May 12, 2005 10:01PM
Looks like it is only on the output. Mono or a pairr of channels for input. For recording a musical perforrmance one would normally use a Music composition program like Logic. This tool is like Motion compaired to AE.

It's a tool that allows an editor to build a soundtrack for a production that won't be the chosen route for major Hollywood studios. However a very well known SF editor we all know of obviously thinks it's a great tool.

Dave
May 17, 2005 10:46PM
<<For the upcomming year my learning curves priorities are in the following order:

1. ST Pro
2. FCP 5
3. Motion 2 & LiveType 2
4. DVD SP4>>

I'm right with you there. I hope the Apple Pro training book on STP is good.

<<Sure glad I started using FCP over 5 yrs ago & picked up the Prroduction Bundle last year. I don't envy anyone trying to digest the Studio package for the 1st time. As it is I think I may have a hard time absorbing all the new stuff. Hope there's not another major upgrade for 2 years. Of course something new will have to be offered at next year's NAB but hopefully it will be like 4.5 was to verr. 4.>>

I'm finally moving up to the whole "Happy Meal" and I couldn't be happier. I've got my feet wet with Motion and DVDSP, but I have a lot to learn. Getting really good at STP could really make projects shine.

- Justin Barham -
May 18, 2005 02:31AM
<<I'm right with you there. I hope the Apple Pro training book on STP is good.

I'll be looking elsewhere for training on STP. Fortunately, I think there will be quite a number of choices to select from. Generally speaking I approve of the Apple Pro Training series.

It's subjective, there are authors of FCP books that I feel have no grasp of editing & I would never buy another one of the author's books on that subject area, whereas I might buy a book by the same author on motion graphics where I felt the author was in his element.

If there's only one source of info, then you have no choice. When there are several sources of info you can shop around & find something that is a better fit. One size does not necessarily fit all.

Dave
June 13, 2005 10:59AM
I've recorded two mic signals into STP with Mackie Onyx mixer. On track one, make it stereo inputs Channels 1 & 2. Channel one is the audio booth mic and the other is a PZM that I have in the control room. This lets me record whatever I say during the session, good takes/ bad takes etc. When I bring into FCP I just drop in the one channel that has the Voice Over audio.

Let me know if anyone else has used this way to record to source of audio.

~Wil
January 25, 2006 05:08PM
Hi Wil

Perty Slick---gave me a idea too ---
I could use the same techneak for
something else ---
Thanks--- Jay---
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics