Sound Ideas SFX library in SoundtrackPro

Posted by Chet Simmons 
I have one of the sound ideas sfx libraries and want to put it on hard disk so that it will be easily accessible by my soundtrackpro app. Any hints?

Best
Chet Simmons
Las Vegas
Dal
Re: Sound Ideas SFX library in SoundtrackPro
August 14, 2005 07:33PM
If you figure this out off list - please come back and post it as I'm in the same situation with several libraries.
Easy to do. Transfer the AIFF's to your Soundtrack Library. Boot Drive/Documents/Soundtrack Loops. Make a folder for your new Sound Fx's Library & name it. Now in Soundtrack Pro, click the Search Tab press the Setup button top right. In the window that opens press the + button uper left navigate to, Boot Drive/Documents/Soundtrack Loops & select your new folder. Press the Index Now button lower left hand corner. When it finishes indexing prress the done buttob lower right & your new library is now availabe in Soundtrack Pro.

Note MP3's will not show up in Soundtrack Pro's Search window.

Dave
Dal
August 19, 2005 03:27AM
Thanks for the run down!

Now... I have several libraries... thousands and thousands of sounds. I'm assuming I'd have to select the categories for the sound or is there anyone who is selling pre-categorized indexed so that (for example) the foley footsteps would show in the browser in the right categories and with a reasonable name and not just as "Audio 5034?"

I know... I'm very demanding... smiling smiley But it seems like something which should exist. Especially for Sound Ideas since apparently the packaged STP sounds are form Sound Ideas.
Thanks for the solution.

Best
Chet
August 24, 2005 10:01AM
There is a searchable database (runs on Filemaker Runtime) It's called "Supersearch" and it contains most of the Sound Ideas libraries. I think it's available from Sound Ideas.

Post Edited (08-24-05 19:12)
Just use Apple's Loop Utility. See Appendix A of the manual.

Dave
August 24, 2005 09:16PM
Along with the searchable database that you can get from Sound Ideas, many of the sound ideas libraries have been logged and their databases uploaded through iTunes. I have found that most of the Sound Ideas CDs I have put into my computer query this database and all of the appropriate info shows up in the track names.
I've always regarded iTunes as a viris. It keeps poping up uninvited. One of these days I'll get around to dumping it.

Dave
Dal
August 25, 2005 09:34AM
Evan - that's great to know... didn't think of that!

Dave Hardy - If you mean you don't like iTunes because your audio is associated with that app - here is your solution.

1. Select one file which is associated with itunes, Get info (cmd-I)
2. In the "open with" dropdown, select the app you would rather it pop up with.
3. Select "Change All"
There are 2 or 3 companies that make sound effects/music library management software.
I have one from Gallery call mTools.
[www.mtools.info]
It is intended to be used with a central server although I use it on just one computer. It comes with a CD ripper for loading all your libraries onto the computer. You just tell it that you have a certain library and it tells you to start feeding it the disks. It not only organizes the sound effects but will convert to different formats for the needs of different apps on the fly.
mTools has catalogue info for nearly all the sound effects libraries plus a few music libraries.

You digitize using Broadcast Wave format which gives the highest level of metadata and thus better searchability, although it is not compressed and takes up a fair amount of space if you have alot of disks.

This type of software is used by many feature film studios and mixing facilities.

Problem: it's expensive. $995.00
Plus you have to buy Filemaker Pro if you don't already have it since it builds it's database using Filemaker.
Plus if you want to access it simultaneously from several computers it requires additional client licenses at $549 each. Or you could just move the dongle (yes there is a dongle) around to other computers as needed.

There are several other companies making this kind of product and none of them are cheap. However, to have such easy access to your sound libraries is a huge leap in the creative possibilities.

I have seen the other apps for this before but can't recall the names just now so you will have to search for them.

Good Luck!
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics