Vocal Remover

Posted by insightbuffalo3 
Vocal Remover
August 01, 2005 06:21AM
Hey
Anyone know about removing vocals in Soundtrack Pro? I know hardware solutions exist but I have a client who has onl;y one version of their jingle. They did not get a music only version in their package. I thought I might try my hand at removing the vocals using a plugin. Does one exist for this purpose?

Thanks for your help.

J
Re: Vocal Remover
August 08, 2005 04:57PM
Well, I'll give you a quick answer at least. There's no Kareoke filter per se but all that would be is an EQ filter for or less. You'd have to remove the frequencies in the vocal range although that will also remove the musical instrument frequencies in that range too. Experiment with a multiband EQ around 1khz, remove frequencies just above it and bit below and down around 200Hz for example. It'll depend on the vocalist, the instruments etc. but that should give you an area to play in.

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
August 31, 2005 09:01AM
hi,
hi have final cut soundtrack pro,How can i remove vocals from a track.plz gimme a reply,wich fx i can use for this

regards
riyaz
August 31, 2005 10:30PM
Please read above. You'll have to experiment with EQ in the vocal range and listen to how much damage it does to the music.

Please go to link about STP plugins and download PDF which will explain how the filters work. Sorry no quick fix until someone writes that Kareoke filter

Post Edited (08-31-05 20:31)

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
September 16, 2005 10:01AM
I just want to agree with Craig on this on. i spent 8 years as a sound guy in a live theater and so i know that you can be your own personal kareoke filter. But depending on the vocal range on the person(s) in the track and what instrament(s) were used that will tell you if the EQ will work. the smaller the range of the vocal and the bigger the difference between the vocal and instraments will make the EQ sound more passable. also the more EQ frequencies that you can edit at one time will make your work sound better. some voices were recorded thanks to thier sounding like the instrament that is in the track. the more mine tuned your EQ options are the better it will sound. just play with it and you can get almost all of the voices out
October 02, 2005 02:06AM
Okey, okey, let me to explain some things.....the process in fact is very simple, the only way to remove a "vocal" from an existing recording is inverting the phase... yes !!, everybody remember that funny program named Cool Edit from Syntrillium Software??, Yes !!, (now is called Adobe Audition....), well, this program was designed by an experimented audio engineer and incluides a bunch of excellent plugins, one of them named "voice remover or vocal remover".

When you have an open mix or track by track production, you only have to push the mute button over the voice track, but when you take the mix down in stereo channels all the sounds are mixed in two tracks (left and right) and the process is more complex, everybody are right in this forum, the EQ is usefull to "cut away", the vocals, but try this...

When you invert the phase of the channels, one of them is cancelled because is 180 degrees oposite to the other!!, the result is a dual mono file (the same audio data in both tracks), an yes, with the phase inverted in one channel you can obtain a cancellation of certain frequencies.

Unfortunately this process is very selective and depends on the way that the mix was made !!, if you have some instruments out of phase or FX in the original mix, when you invert the phase in a stereo mix down file, ONLY that instruments are removed....and maybe the vocals too !!, but guys, actually there are not a viable process to make the job exactly how we need, and the results are so unexpected from one stereo file to other.

My recomendation is, try with this "vocal remover" includes on Adobe Audition (before Cool Edit Pro) or go to www.analogx.com, this guy is making a free software and you can found a lot of funny stuff there !!

P.D.

I have my own studio and I can offer a special prices for all members of this group, from recording to mastering and creative production !!

See Yaa !!

October 02, 2005 11:53AM
Actually the way Vocals are removed is to take the left and right tracks of the stereo file and put one side out of phase with the other. This can be done with a phase inverter plug-in such as the one that is built into many Pro tools Plug-Ins.
I do not know if one of these is in Soundtrack Pro.
The way it works is it cancels any signal that is the same on both the left and right. Since Dialog is usually panned center, this deletes the main vocal, but any other items that were panned center are also deleted and this can cause the remaining tracks to sound very thin or phasey. (Drums and bass are often centered. Also, if the vocal used reverb that is typicaly stereo, the reverbed vocal may not be removed completely.
Bottom line is it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. A little EQ after doing the phase inversion can help , maybe.

Catasonic Music and Sound
Echo Park California
www.catasonic.com
October 02, 2005 12:18PM
In Sound Track Pro - Process/Invert will invert the audio phase.

You've pointed out the issue with phase in the stereo field. To further exapand on that, unless sounds are panned hard right/left the loss is usually much more than people expect. Hence, I'm not a big fan of this but that's my subjective opinion. I suspect most people think of removing "just" the vocals.

When doing a music mix with original sources one might simply remove the vocals for a 2nd mix. This is often done when one masters a video for multilanguage use.

Often times clients will hand you a dual channel mono source, they'll call "stereo" because it has 2 channels, and ask you to remove the voice. That ranks up there with requests to remove titles and graphics over picture without the source video to replace it.

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
October 20, 2005 04:02AM
Hey guys, try this little vst. Worked great for me!

[www.acoustica.com]

Its called extraboy

Pete

December 21, 2005 07:45PM
Too bad it is a windows only VST plugin. I believe we here us MAC's.
December 23, 2005 07:41AM
help me please... I believe u...

January 26, 2006 06:31PM
Im inquiring about anyone who can do a great job at removing vocals to a song. Its a regular cd with songs on it and also mp3 file type song. Any suggestions or any services I can hire to do this for me? Anyone who can please help me on this subject matter of removing vocals from a song please do. I have a performance in 3 weeks and do not know what to do with this song because it doesnt have any karaoke version to it.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics