Export to OMF?

Posted by ayoung 
Export to OMF?
August 15, 2005 03:23PM
Greetings all!

My first post on the forums, I recently started up with some friends doing some short films and since I had the interest, and they had 'an opening' I'll be taking care of most of the sound for the productions.

They're currently using FCP 4.5 and I recently picked up STP. We made a discovery the hard way that 'export to Soundtrack" is NOT something that Soundtrack PRO wants, the file was in a format that needed to be resaved and exported, then re-imported, rather a pain.

I know the option to export as an aiff file is always there, but if you're trying to arrange tracks in your production, I believe that FCP4.5 offers 'export to omf' which won't condense all the tracks down to a single stereo track. I've been looking through the manual, on the STP website, and all over the place, and I can't seem to find ANY reference yea or nay, as to whether this is supported. I notice a few websites talk about Protools/LE (with DV toolkit), Deck and Logic being able to use this format Can STP?

Unfortunately, I do NOT have FCP to be able to test such at my leisure.

thanks much!
Andy

Dal
Re: Export to OMF?
August 17, 2005 03:09AM
Well, I didn't know the answer, so (having the full studio) I took up the challenge.

The results are not encouraging.

Yes, FCP will export to OMF (hurray)
No, STP will not export to OMF. I found that STP has a bunch of exporting options, but nothing to OMF.

Most shocking of all though is this: If you select a single file and send to STP and save it, it affects the file in FCP. However, if you export out a full set of tracks and make changes - no such luck. I guess they expect you to only mix out to tracks. They expect you to start and finish your edit in STP. This is crazy because what if you want to work on the sound mix and then change your edit? Editors know this happens all the time. Do you have to start from scratch with a new "Send TO?"

That's really disappointing if that's the case.
Re: Export to OMF?
August 17, 2005 10:42AM
Dal,

Thanks for taking a look at this. I've asked around and yeah, it didn't look good. I was just curious to have someone who HAD both applications check such out.

I'm still loving a lot of the options that STP offers, it just seems that workflow between FCP4.5 and STP will be something of a pain. Guess I'll have to work harder in the mean time, as well as try to convince the video folks that FCP5 is a goooood idea. We're all rather poor at the moment, so that might take some doing. winking smiley

Thanks again!

-Andy
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics