Exporting to Waveform editor from FCP

Posted by Vance 
Exporting to Waveform editor from FCP
September 29, 2005 09:16PM
I have been seeking an answer to this. I hope that I have not overlooked it in the manual or my searches here.

What I would like to do is send a clip from an FCP timeline to Soundtrack to tweak it in some way. Let's say normalize it or do a noise reduction.

My problem seems to be that when I do use the "send to Soundtrack Pro Audio File project" function in FCP, the entire media file is exported. As I most frequently capture my material in huge chuncks (disk drives are cheap), I wind up with an hour long clip when what I want to work on is only a few seconds.

What is the correct way to do this?

Thanks-
-Vance
Re: Exporting to Waveform editor from FCP
October 04, 2005 11:16AM
. . . the entire media file is exported"

The problem is cosmetic / workflow. This is how FCP itself handles media.

When you mark in/out points and drop a clip in the timeline, it's still connected to the whole file. This is obvious if you use the slip/slide tool, where you can then see the "outline" of the entire file in the timeline.

The problem people have is that although STP "highlights" the portion of the clip you're working with, you see the rest of the clip and it's easy to accidentally head off past the highlighted area. It MIGHT be better if you only saw the selected part of the clip you're working on with the OPTION to see the entire clip if you chose to affect it globally (sorta like removing the limits of a subclip in FCP).

One "solution" would be is to finish your FCP edit and then Media Manage the project. At that point your clip could/should stand as separate clips not connected to a long master clip.

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
Thanks Craig. My problem is that my workflow doesn't really allow the picture to be locked before audio work. I cut short segments that are dumped to tape to be handled in a linear system, then passed to a server.

My work around to to export the audio clip and bring it into Soundtrack, fiddle then export again. Old school, but does the job.
-V
Re: Exporting to Waveform editor from FCP
October 06, 2005 10:12PM
Yup, I went through a similar situation with a 20 minute short recently. Let's hope the Apple STP team realize that workflow is common.

The issue is how do you think they should fix it and then let them know.

I can imagine working on an in/out area only to find that you have to extend the in/out. One would want to extend the audio FX.

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics