FCP -STP- FCP workflow

Posted by mark raudonis 
FCP -STP- FCP workflow
January 29, 2006 03:12PM
I'm interested in hearing about FCP picture editors who have adopted Soundrack Pro into their workflow. How's it going?

I doubt that we will abandon our "final mix" in a dedicated studio with a trained audio mixer, however some of the noise reduction/cancellation capabilities within STP are truly amazing. I envision our off-line editors dipping into STP for some specific fixes and then sending it on through our usual mixing process. Since we're in a shared storage environment (X-SAN), another option would be to have a dedicated sound designer working on cuts throughout the process rather than just jumping on board after picture lock.

I see a TREMENDOUS potential for STP to significantly change the way we approach audio in the post process. Specifically, it seems that the audio finishing steps (prelay, premix, Sound design) can now happen in advance of the final mix and not have to wait for picture lock. That's what I'd like to hear about from any experienced users of STP.

Thanks.

mark

Dal
Re: FCP -STP- FCP workflow
January 31, 2006 08:08PM
I cannot mis this opportunity to mention the largest failing of Soundtrack Pro (an app I want to love and am excited about).

You can send your single audio pieces out to STP and back into FCP as you work. But when you send out your entire session, you'd better really be done with your mix, because there is no sending back into FCP.... unless you want to take it in as aif files. But no easy editing.

This lacking feature is profound to me.

If you're thinking of STP as a nice clean up feature or a finishing audio program - it'll work and the workflow is pretty much as you described.

I do hope they are planning on increasing the integration though. In real world production, you deliver... then get notes, then redeliver, then change, fix, conform, alter, fix, change etc. All of those need mixes. It would be huge to be able to use STP for all these stages and not only the final stage.
January 31, 2006 10:03PM
Hmmmm. That's a bummer!

When I was at the San Francisco FCP user's group meeting during Mac World, Apple demo'd STP and let it be known they were interested in hearing feedback about it from users. So, if you've got a beef, a request, or an opinion, let your voice be heard!

mark
Dal
February 03, 2006 03:57AM
They give any email addresses?

I've got a few things I'd like to see in soundtrack. Eventhough I don't do it anymore, I used to be an audio editor - over 100 feature films... tons of TV - so there are some things which are just aching to be added from that perspective.

Another sour note... I don't see anywhere that STP will export as an omf file. So, don't plan on going to protools afterwards. FCP does go to omf (hurray!)
Anonymous User
February 04, 2006 06:43PM
The folks at STP read this forum so if you have any requests post them here.

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics