Sweetening Voice Track Audio

Posted by Handcranked Films 
Hello

I shot an interview using a cheap lav in a setting with nothing but hard surfaces. The audio sounds good, but I would like it if had more warmer, deeper sound. Something more professional.

Can anybody recommended how I might be able to sweeten this audio track using Sound Track Pro?

Thanks
Re: Sweetening Voice Track Audio
February 28, 2006 11:51AM
It sorta depends on what you have and what you want. Some EQ may help, some Reverb may help. Is the sound to "dry" or to "thin" or what?
The interview was shot in a large room with nothing but wood and concrete, so the sound is "hard," is how I would describe it. I was/am not sure if STP has a filter that helps sweeten sound issues like this.
The most important thing you can do to the track is EQ. I am not very familiar with STP but here is the way I would do it in Pro Tools. The basic concepts should be the same for both programs.

I would select a Parametric EQ or an EQ with sweepable frequencies. I would then play back the track while sweeping the frequency that the EQ is boosting. Sweep through the entire range of frequencies. Notice what frequencies sound ?good? and what frequencies sound ?bad?. It is okay to boost the frequency a lot at this point. It will make it easier to here what the different frequencies sound like. Once you have an idea of where the ?good? and ?bad? frequencies are use a combination if boosting and cutting those frequencies until it sounds ?good? to you. There is no right or wrong here it is just your personal preference. For your final EQ settings try to avoid drastic boosts or cuts. +/-3 is probably about as extreme as you want to go. Although there are certain cases that may require more.

After you have done this a while you will start to be able to tell what frequencies to cut or boost just by hearing the track.

If that doesn?t totally take care of the problem you may also want to try using a gate/expander on the tracks. What this does is lower the level of the track when nobody is talking. This helps reduce some of the room tone you are hearing.

BE CAREFULL. Too much of this will make the track sound robotic and unnatural.

Hope this helps,
Ryan

what
March 02, 2006 02:25PM
STP comes with all the Logic plugins. I would use the Multipressor as it is a great 4 band compressor and EQ in 1.
Thank you, everybody, for your help.

i'm really new to STP, and audio production in general, so it is all a bit overwhelming.

Thanks Again.
March 24, 2006 04:58PM
Next Time before you do this type of project, check out this Microphone.
ROD NT3
Dynamic microphone, extremely good clean quality sound, works with most wireless transmitters, or hard wired.

Lloyd Adair
March 30, 2006 02:33PM
Another effect that is very powerful is the compressor. We run all our voice tracks through this and it makes for a profoundly better sound.
Needs to be done with a light hand, however.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics