Soundtrack Pro Fixes/Improvements

Posted by J Conrads 
This is a preliminary list of fixes, improvements that I have compiled working with STP over the past week. For reference I am using STP to cut DX, MX & FX, create new sounds & sound design for a DV short I am cutting in FCP 5. I am working in short multitrack sequences with exported video from FCP. The intent is to cut and mix pre-dub/stem type units and export them to aiff for import back into FCP.

I will preface this with the fact that I love the concept Apple has for the FCP/STP integration and the basic design of STP. It is fairly intuitive and I was easily able to start working at a high level without any training. The effects plugins & tools that come packaged with the program are fantasic and I've been able to use STP as a sound design tool extremely successfully without any additional software.

- Stability!!!!!! - I'm crashing, locking up & dropping frames/stuttering consistently. I'm getting horse from screaming at my computer. Please build a stable version 2!!!!

- FCP - STP - FCP Workflow - An export/import from STP - FCP of multitrack sessions with TC sync, proper renders of STP mixes & basic automation XML metadata (i.e., pan & volume graphs).

- STP OMF export - Can't really use STP as an editorial, design tool if you want to do anything outside of a stereo FCP work & finish environment. Come on guys, this should be easy.

- Multitrack recording - Seems like we're limited to recording one track at a time. This is limiting even for me and all I'm doing is recording foley & ADR.

- Multitrack tools - STP needs more robust editing / clip control tools in the multitrack environment. The fact that we can't create clip based fades in multitrack is mind boggling. The selection process is obtuse, not being able to drag select clips across different tracks is mind boggling.

- Customizable Keyboard & Shortcuts - I am baffled by the fact that the standard mac keyboard shortcuts and cmd/shift/option modifiers are not active in this program, we need to be able to access the blade & zoom controls at the very least from the pointer. Switching between the pointer and blade is getting old and STP also needs a selection tool that can drag select a section of a clip. They might as well just copy the "new" ProTools multitool, that was a great idea and greatly simplified editing. Also customizable keyboard layouts would be nice for all us who are used to this as a part of picture or sound editing programs.

- Clip browsing & importing - Basic FFW/RVS, pause & in/out marker controls in the clip browser would be awesome. At the very least give us a pause control and then use that point for the begining of the clip when dragged to the timeline tracks. A custumizable favorites section would be nice as well, with the ability to create bins in the favorites section for better organization.

I'm curious what additional changes / fixes others have come up with.

Dal
Re: Soundtrack Pro Fixes/Improvements
March 23, 2006 04:17AM
one big one is multiple fade creation for when you have hundreds of Background cuts, for example, and you need them all to have a 1 frame overlay.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics