First time with STP Compression levels questions.

Posted by Luie 
First time with STP Compression levels questions.
May 13, 2006 02:56AM
I am close to finishing a 90 min documentary on current Gas, Oil, record profits and the future of running cars without Gas. Wonderful project.

Half was shot with the Panasonic DVX 100A audio was the camera mic.
(No, I did not shoot it, I would not allow that) and the other half was shot on the Sony HDV camera. Some of that was boom mic and much was camera mic.
Levels are all over the place, sometimes the people turn away from the camera and you can hear the drop in voice and so on.

I am mixing formats just incase you were wondering.

OK so I have been around audio guys before and I learned a little bit about Compressors/Limiters/Expanders and improving over all levels. Seen it done with STP and loved it.

So my question is.
What is your workflow when it comes to something like this.

Is it better to do the audio levels FCP or STP?

When I do go to STP what if any kind of filters do you apply to your over all documentary do any of you use compressers/limiters/ expanders.
There is a truck running in the background and cars Growling as they drive by do any of you apply Low Pass or High pass filters? ECT.

Can you tell me your favorites please.

Thanks for the STP help I appreciate it.

BTW i have tried many times to attend the STP training courses offered in LA but for the last 6 months it seems every one of them have been canceled due to no interest.

Anyone willing to give me some training?
I just want to learn the program and understand it.

Thanks again.

SL8UP
Re: First time with STP Compression levels questions.
May 13, 2006 10:08AM
Luie,

Sound is another whole world of acronyms and knowledge that video doesn't give you. I would suggest you find a book or books that start out by explaining the basics of audio (analog) and then digital audio and then how filters work.

Sound, much like video is about getting it right during the capture phase and not planning on "fixing it in post". As a matter of fact, there seems to be too little emphasis on knowing the sound things in video because it used to be "the sound guy's problem to fix"

Anyway, there are no couple of points to make you a great sound guy. It is a whole discipline unto itself.
Re: First time with STP Compression levels questions.
May 13, 2006 12:48PM
Thanks John.

SL8UP
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics