removing room echo

Posted by J.Corbett 
removing room echo
October 09, 2006 08:38AM
i filmed a person talking in a bathroom. there is a lot of echo in it. now i could accually live with this but being anal i dont want to. how can i isolate the voice so that i get rid of some of the echo/reverb on the voice?
i have used sound tract to enhance b4 but never to take away.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: removing room echo
October 18, 2006 08:00PM
You hit one of the biggies. How do I separate a voice from the exact same voice on the exact same mic a fraction of a second later? You generally don't since there's no difference for the software to grab onto.

However, there is one small difference. The echoes are generally lower in volume so you can use the noise reduction tool to suppress all the sounds lower than a set level. This is probably going to result in "Pumping Echoes", but it's worth a shot.

Koz
October 18, 2006 10:37PM
i will try it. i also tried a gate and it did do a little but was a bit choppy. i did let the job go out the door with the echo-ish verb going on. they didnt nind but i am still experimenting with some things for the next shoot. i have a a lav but it is acting crazy so i have to use my on-board till the manufacturer stock and repairs catch-up.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
October 19, 2006 12:31AM
<<< i also tried a gate>>>

Then never mind, because that's what the noise reduction tool is going to do--although it may be a little more graceful at it.

This is not a post problem, it's a mic problem.

Koz
October 19, 2006 12:37AM
Is/Was there any way to make the room stop echoing? Pile furniture moving pads on the two walls that don't appear in the shot and pile them on every inch of the floor that doesn't show.

C-Stands can be used to suspend Homasote panels near the ceiling.

Etc. Go nuts.

Koz
October 19, 2006 09:04AM
i normally set the shots up pretty good. this shoot was hand held cam work following someone as they gave a tour of a historic site. the rroms were big with hardwood floors. so even my footsteps ( in socks ) were slightly noticed.

i am sure that there is some ad ons/ plug-in effects for my dvx to handle this problem. if sennheiser could keep up with demand for their mic systems i would have had an easily editable shoot. sennheiser needs some competion in the realm of wireless mics.

i am almost scared to try someone else but they dont refund like they use to back in the golden age of the 90's:-)

""""
October 19, 2006 02:35PM
<<<i am sure that there is some ad ons/ plug-in effects for my dvx to handle this problem.>>>

I'd be surprised. Write back if you find a tool that can do it--on any platform. Interview the Doublemint Twins (remember those?) and filter out one of them.

Koz
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics