audio order of operations

Posted by Billy Morocco 
audio order of operations
May 06, 2007 08:52PM
Greetings all,

Let me set the scene: I teach a Vid Prod class at a boarding school. I have one decent (FC Studio, PPC, though) bay and prosumer DV equipment. As a year-end project, and for a number of reasons, I have the students RE-Filming "Casablanca" (most of it, modifying the plot to be a sort of "seniors project"winking smiley [the B&W allows for easier costuming, among other reasons].

Everything is going well, even ahead of schedule. Therefore, I am thinking of bringing in STP to help with audio. I am still VERY green with this app, however, and with a large (@ 40-50 mins) I have a general question:

Is there / What is the preferred order of operations for mixing audio? I have showed them how to key-frame audio to mix with music; and how to "double-up" tracks to boost audio (not very good mic equipment). But STP allows for a lot of options.

I wondering specifically about raising dialogue levels, room-noise reduction, and music/dialogue mixing/compression. Is it okay to mix FCP sound techniques with STP processes? Is it good or bad to boost audio before or after deNoising? Can I boost audio in FCP on a track that has been "touched" by STP, or just rely on amplitude adjustment in STP?

Again, I've only used STP on one file at a time, and I just don't want to get lost (or get the students lost) in multi-track with two weeks to showtime.

Thanks in advance,

BM
Re: audio order of operations
May 07, 2007 01:44PM
I generally do a rough mix while I'm working, ie: getting levels of audio with vo's, interviews, natural sound, music to a fair balance. Generally, any sound sweetening is left to the very end when the project timing is locked.

It took a good tutorial (and a few family video projects!) to get me familiar with STP, it can be a pretty overwhelming application.

Since you have a fairly long video, 40 to 50 minutes, it may make things less stressful for you to stay within FCP, and do the repair work only in STP. Let the multi-trak project be another project exploration for your students.

However, if you are doing a lot of fixing, or sending clips to STP, you might as well do it all in multi-track, one stop shopping if you will. When you're done with fixing, click on the mixer and do a simple mix.

STP will take any keyframing you do in FCP, including cross-dissolves. The only thing that doesn't transfer is fading up/down by audio dissolves.

<<Can I boost audio in FCP on a track that has been "touched" by STP>>

Yes, just do more keyframing in FCP, however, why do that when you can easily send it back to STP for any adjustments. You'll just have to re-import the new mix.

If you have broken up your project into acts or segments, it may make things easier.

That's my two cents!

Cameron Young
May 08, 2007 12:21PM
Thanks for your input. STP is overwhelming. I suppose because to even have it open means committing to a level of detail that FCP allows you to not notice.

<<However, if you are doing a lot of fixing, or sending clips to STP, you might as well do it all in multi-track, one stop shopping if you will. When you're done with fixing, click on the mixer and do a simple mix. >>

I finally did find a good tutorial that explained how STP exports a single mix which you then put on, say, A8,A9 and mute out your pre-existing audio. That is something I wasn't understanding from just the manual.

I will probably stick to FCP for most sweetening. I'll de-noise where I have to. I will definitely try to do a multitrack with one or two sequences.

Just to make sure I understand what I have read here and elsewhere: A multitrack project does not alter the audio on my original media files. It creates a new (aiff, I suppose) audio stream that is itself a MIX of all the audio. Correct?

Thanks again
May 08, 2007 12:55PM
<<I finally did find a good tutorial that explained how STP exports a single mix which you then put on, say, A8,A9 and mute out your pre-existing audio>>

That's one way, another is to duplicate the sequence, replace the audio with the aiff file, rename as "sequence name-fullmix".

<<A multitrack project does not alter the audio on my original media files. It creates a new (aiff, I suppose) audio stream that is itself a MIX of all the audio. Correct?>>

Correct.

Cameron Young
May 17, 2007 11:49PM
<<<multi-track with two weeks to showtime. >>>

That occured to me. If you're in the "taking out room noise" phase, you have a long, difficult row to hoe before the finished show. I would personally forbid the use of noise reduction tools. It's intensively time consuming and the rewards are the exception.

The up side is finding a student that takes to the tools. We can't all be television visualle artistes

Koz
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics