FCP audio to Soundtrack Pro: retain effects??

Posted by stanya 
FCP audio to Soundtrack Pro: retain effects??
March 03, 2010 12:09PM
Wanting to do a 5.1 Surround mix in Soundtrack Pro.
But did all my audio already in FCP (effects, filters, fades, speed, etc..)
When I sent the finished FCP piece (with 13 tracks of effected audio) as a multi-track project to STP, I lost all my effects, my fades and transitions etc...
Obviously I don't want to and don't have time to recreate the entire audio mix with effects in STP. But I have to use STP for the surround mix.
Any way to retain my FCP effects/filters in STP? thank you!!
in mad hurry for deadline next week.
stanya
Re: FCP audio to Soundtrack Pro: retain effects??
March 03, 2010 12:24PM
That's a bizarre way to do the mix...you're using Soundtrack Pro, but doing effects in Final Cut Pro?

I suppose if you really need to do that, and since you're trying to retain levels, then you should export each of your FCP audio tracks as a stand-alone, full-quality AIFF or WAV file.

www.derekmok.com
March 03, 2010 12:35PM
thanks for your reply.
i realize it's sort of backwards, but i am used to doing my sound in FCP, this is my first attempt at surround mix and using STP.
unfortunately, i did all the sound in FCP and it was extensive.
before i got your reply, i tried a test with one clip with one effect on it:
Export>for Sountrack. it made a quicktime. when i opened it in STP, it seemed to have retained the effect.
the only thing with this is that it's time consuming (i would have to export whole project. FCP tells me it will take 1-2 hours.) but worth if it it works. can you see an problems with this method?
thanks so much
stanya
March 03, 2010 12:39PM
also, if i do it track by track, what's the simplest way to select a whole track (it's a long piece.) thanks
stanya
March 03, 2010 12:48PM
Frankly, you want to avoid using the FCP built in audio filters, because they are clunky and they don't do the job as well as the tools in Soundtrack Pro. Soundtrack won't be able to import the audio filters, mainly because it uses its own audio filters.

If you really want to, you can export the different audio tracks separately as Aiff files (48khz 24 or 16 bits). If you need a video reference, you can export it as an mpeg4 and drop it in Soundtrack.

You should include a 2-pop (a 1 frame long 1khz tone placed exactly two seconds before the start of picture right after your countdown at the start of your stable black). This will help you line up your audio so you don't lose sync.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 03, 2010 01:14PM
now that i have 13 separate aiff's (i set the sequence in FCP to 14 tracks, then exported audio as aiff, grouped channels), when i import them in STP, they open only as separate projects. is there an easy way to get them into a multitrack project onto their respective tracks? thanks again for your time and thoughts.
April 24, 2010 11:50PM
> is there an easy way to get them into a multitrack project onto their respective tracks?

Import them one at a time.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics