Doing noise reduction on one channel = delay?!!

Posted by CaseyPetersen 
Doing noise reduction on one channel = delay?!!
August 06, 2010 12:58PM
I have an AIFF audio file...one channel is a lav. mic and the other channel is a shotgun mic. There's a bit of room noise, so I thought I'd EQ the shotgun mic on the right channel. I brought it into STP 3, and did the noise reduction on the right channel (sampled on right channel, and applied to right channel only). The end result is that there is a horrible echo...one channel is now 3 frames off.

What the heck happened here?

Thanks!
Casey
Re: Doing noise reduction on one channel = delay?!!
November 17, 2010 06:23PM
Not sure if this falls into your area or not; but some of the effects that can be applied are destructive. For instance limiting. The Adaptive Limiter changes not only the dynamic; but also the length. Whereas the Limiter does not. Whether the process you use changes the file length or not is easily recognized by the check box on the right side of the Actions List. If it's "red", the effect has changed the length, and thus, put the track out of sync.

Excerpt from the manual.

Limitations of Actions That Change the File?s Length
Some actions change the overall length of the audio file by inserting or deleting audio. These include inserting silence, noise, or a waveform, time stretching, and deleting part of a file. Recording audio, pasting, and adding an effect with a ?tail? can also change the file?s length. In the Actions list, the selection checkbox for each action that changes the file?s length appears red, making it easy to visually distinguish those actions.
eli
April 09, 2011 02:38PM
hey casey, looks like you found an awesome bug!
if you select one channel and noise reduce it, the other channel slips out of sync! what a trip!
did you figure out a workaround?
April 12, 2011 09:09AM
Gosh, that was a while ago. I probably just exported the single channel into a separate file, and then did the NR.

Casey
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics