Purchas Shake in lafcpug store?

Posted by ClayC 
Purchas Shake in lafcpug store?
March 12, 2010 06:53AM
I need to buy Shake 4.1.1. I'd order it from the store here but don't see it.

Anyone have a reliable source for a download version?

Thanks,
Clay
Re: Purchas Shake in lafcpug store?
March 12, 2010 08:47AM
Shake is no longer available for purchase new anywhere. Lots of houses licensed the source code back in the day, so it's still very widely used, but new copies cannot be bought at any price.

I don't know what the rules are for transferring licenses. You might look into buying somebody's old copy off them, if you find somebody looking to sell it. But check the license fine print to make sure it's legally transferrable and all that stuff.

March 12, 2010 09:01AM
Yeah, I know its not available new any longer. There are lots of websites though offering Version 4.1.1. downloads, but not the kind of places I'd like to offer up a credit card number to.

Thus my query, if anyone knows of a reliable source....?

Licenses: I assume its basically abandonware by now, for whatever reasons known only to Apple. Such a shame, really. It wouldn't have cost them much at all to at least keep it available as a download. Whole lotta people still using it, schools still teaching it, and lots of 3rd party support. Rants out there galore on that subject.

Or, anyone got a copy to sell?

Clay
March 12, 2010 09:10AM

I assume its basically abandonware by now

That's not a legally meaningful term. The closest analogue of Shake's legal status is "out of print." Apple still owns it, they still have the exclusive right to sell it, they're choosing not to. This is all totally legal and entirely normal.

Like I said, Apple licensed out the Shake source code for the astonishingly low price of $50,000 per customer, so tons of shops bought it. They now have the right to do whatever the heck they want with the software, but only internally. That's why it's still taught and used. It's basically like CompTime, except on a larger scale.

If you're in the market for Shake, only not Shake because Shake isn't a product any more, then look at Nuke. If you already know Shake, you can pick up Nuke in about twenty minutes. Nuke 6 is pretty inexpensive at $3,500, and there's two non-paid versions available. You can get an unlimited "Personal Learning Edition" which never expires and which is fully functional but for the watermarked output, and you can also get a 30-day temp license for evaluation purposes.

You can also rent it for $1,400 a quarter if you only need it to do one job.

March 12, 2010 09:33AM
I meant abandonware in terms of who cares. Your point well taken, though. Not a legal term.

Sure, Nuke, it's on our radar for the future. Very similar, low learning curve for Shake users. Only problem is, the price nukes the budget at the moment. We'll get there sooner than later. Was hoping for a Shake solution in the meantime.
March 12, 2010 09:37AM

I meant abandonware in terms of who cares.

I'm generalizing here, but the forum as a whole is pretty resolutely anti-piracy.

the price nukes the budget

Rental, then? That's only $1,400 a quarter.

March 12, 2010 11:58AM
Totally agree. Not into piracy at all. Not asking my question very well probably either if that's the impression I'm giving.

I just wanted to know if there is anywhere to download, and by that I mean legally purchase Shake anymore?

So the answer is no. Got it.

Meantime, anybody has a copy to sell, I'm interested.
March 12, 2010 12:47PM
I always see a number of copies of Shake on eBay. Of course buyer beware and all that.
March 13, 2010 08:49AM
Found one. Problem solved.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics