Sony HVR-Z1U

Posted by Eric G. 
Sony HVR-Z1U
October 24, 2005 05:43PM
I'm struggling with the decision whether or not to buy a Sony HD Camera. Supposing I wanted to use this new HD camera, how would I distribute the end product to clients? I imagine I'll need an HD monitor? Does down-converting from HD to SD introduce any serious problems? It seems like all the pieces of the puzzle aren't there yet. Can someone explain how the cameras features might benefit me today? I see it as a good investment but I need some good ammo to convince the boss. Any suggested reading material? Thanks all.
Re: Sony HVR-Z1U
October 24, 2005 06:39PM
Hi Eric,

It's a great camera -- just bought one. You can shoot DVCAM until HD becomes better supported when editing. I edited an educational movie which I shot with this camera. I used HD 1080i and now I'm having problems getting the finished movie out of FCP. Otherwise everything looks great. The HD is definitely going to be a thing of the future.
October 24, 2005 06:46PM

Wondering if you know anything about the new HVR-A1U?

I was about to purchase the Z1 then came across this camera and I
thought twice about it.

Cheers,
October 24, 2005 07:03PM
Also look at the upcoming HVX-200 Panasonic camera - it does everything but the dishes....it does real DVCPRO HD - MINI DV DVC Pro 50 and 25....virtually every interlaced and progressive format you can think of (even 30fps interlaced!) Bad news - only records on P2 chips (expensive - limited storage) but Firestore makes a drive you can record the DVCPRO HD directly to disk (small enough to hang on the camera) which will be fare more cost effective - talked with the president of Firestore and he says they will be upgrading their Firestore drives to handle 100mbs bandwidth needed to record DVC Pro HD director

Read about here [www.dvxuser.com]
It's about 2 grand more than the Sony Model but looks like it may be far more versatile

Andy
October 26, 2005 04:49PM
Andy, That was a excellent article, I failed to fully understand the P2 recording though. When you say "only records on P2 chips" what is the point of the DV tape? Also do you think FCP will be capable of editing this in HD effectively?

Its 1 thing making a leap to new technology but another banging your head against the desk trying to get it to work!

Cheers.

Phil
October 30, 2005 03:34AM
I too, am curious about this camera.

Anyone else have any comments about it?

-Scott
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics