mySQL

Posted by Brad Theissen 
mySQL
October 24, 2005 07:08PM
Is anyone using mySQL on their Mac, at the Tiger/Panther application level, or at the LINUX level, to host and maintain databases ued by their remote webservers (authored with DreamWeaver, FrontPage or even Xcel/Access)??

I want to manage my (self) DVD catalog localy, in addition to having the SQL file on my webserver.

Thank you.
Anonymous User
Re: mySQL
October 24, 2005 09:20PM
This forum uses it but I havent a clue how it works

October 25, 2005 07:43PM
I've used mySQL for clients projects, back when I was doing some programming work while I was trying to get my current career in gear. It's reliable, and easier to use than other databases. It's usually used with a programming language called PHP, which is a pretty easy language to learn and use. You can also get lots of free applications, which are already set up to use PHP and mySql.

Your server will need to be configured to use PHP, and mySQL. PHP can be edited with any web page authorizing software which allows editing HTML code, including text editors. PHP is especially suited for use on web sites.

There are a million books on the subject of PHP/mySQL programming. However, it will take you a while to learn and use.

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
Anonymous User
October 25, 2005 07:53PM
If I ever get some money to upgrade this site, you're hired Travis. Want to take this site to a more PHP database type thingy. Keeping up with this site is nuts

October 25, 2005 08:11PM
I installed a program file yesterday, and now I have my OSX internal SQL server running... BUt

The thrust of my original question is: Is anyone having more luck with one SQL file building and maintanence software than another - at the built in OSX level?

Is anyone using SQL with Excel?

I know for building websites, Dreamweaver as a GUI works, and there are non-GUI PHP building software, BUT I first want to get my SQL file to work locally on the mac itself.

Thanks!
October 25, 2005 08:15PM
As for Michael Horton's post...

One Word: www.CraigsList.org

Or, the freeware blue and grey webblog/forum style software out there on a 100000 sites... maybe you can customize it for the bright and sunny yellow theme as now. OR, maybe you can color code the forums, like the Terror Level colors.
October 26, 2005 11:35AM
OK. Remember, I'm not an expert on such things, I'm posting because I probably have more mySQL experience than most here.

I'm also just getting up to speed on MACs.

First, for what it appears you're trying to do, you don't need any special "file-building and maintenance software", to accomplish your task. You can write all you code in any ap which allows you to edit html code. I usually just copy code from examples on the web and pase it into my html pages - of course changing stuff like database names and passwords, etc.

I haven't used Dreamweaver yet, but Macromedia says it has stuff in there just for editing code. If it's like Front Page, that means you get some automatic formatting, and text colors are automatically changed to make the code easier to understand - all nice, but certainly not necessary.
I've used a simple text editor many times to create pages that run mySQL code.

As for running Excel, I'm pretty sure that when using MS tools, you must be running Windows server (ugh).

You could, however get mySQL to export to a .csv or some other text formatted file, an then import/export to Excel.

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
October 26, 2005 02:52PM
One of the reasons why Macs are far superior to PCs is that the Mac OSX runs on a form of UNIX/LINUX.

Evenso, I doubt that many use the UNIX features of their Mac. E.G. If I am having trouble, or suspect trouble, with my Internet, I open Terminal and PING or TRACEROUTE to my cousin's nameserver in St. Paul. If I am having trouble with AppleTalk (Connect To Server) to one of my Macs or PCs, I use Terminal to arp -a and see if LINUX sees the other computer ethernet addrs.

Now, getting back to running MySQL on my Mac... I installed the free software Apple's website suggested. Yes, Travis, DreamWeaver and other GUI web authoring software can 'read' that SQL database and display the results on a webpage, BUT, I need to get data into that DB before I can read it out in DreamWeaver, et.al.

So that's the basis of my inquiry here, is there a better OSX SQL admin software than another? Useless GOOGLE searches as always turn up stuff for sale, but stuff for sale doesn't always means one works better than another.

Thanks
October 28, 2005 01:32PM
Mike,
I think you want what is called a CMS or "Content Management System" that is based on PHP and uses a MySQL database.

BOSFCPUG.org is an example. If you want to operate a CMS, either hire someone to do EVERYthing OR have them train you on how to atleast keep it upgraded or (shiver) learn how to use the CMS yourself. Google Mambo or Joomla to get started.

I want to do this myself for SF Cutters. As soon as I get the time to learn it, I'm gonna go for it.

Kevin Monahan
Author, "Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro"
Take my LA Master's Seminar on Nov. 12-13!
Anonymous User
October 28, 2005 03:38PM
Kevin Monahan wrote:

> Mike,
> I think you want what is called a CMS or "Content Management
> System" that is based on PHP and uses a MySQL database.

Yeah, trouble is its so butt ugly and so text heavy. And they all look alike. Need a good CMS plus something that doesn't intimidate the first time caller

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics