recapture problems

Posted by Vanessa Milton 
recapture problems
October 28, 2005 10:59PM
I had a hard drive die in the middle of the project and have had to recapture the media. When I try to recapture the logged clips, I am getting timecode breaks that weren't there originally, and the capture is failing. If I mark an in and out point to match the logged clips and chose capture clip, it will still fail if it hits a timecode break, and not save the media it has captured to that point. so it seems like my only alternative is to do a capture now, creating brand new clips that do not have the same media start and end as the original. the problem then is that when I try to relink my sequence to the new media, the clips in the sequence are shifting their in and out points - ie each clip has been slipped (I am assuming the amount it has slipped by corresponds to the difference in media start timcode between the original clip and the recaptured one, but I haven't verified this). The only way I can think to solve it is to either media manage the new clips so that they have the same media start (though they may not have the same media end because of the timcode breaks) - and see if the sequence wil then relink correctly, OR relink each clip in the sequence individually and slip it back to where it should start (probably not feasible!).
anyone have any other ideas?
Re: recapture problems
October 29, 2005 12:20AM
I was having horrendous problems like that a couple of days ago. I went to the Apple Store and the teacher there told me to read this article from Larry Jordan. It's all about optimizing your system and my problems dissappeared completely. [www.larryjordan.biz]
Re: recapture problems
October 29, 2005 01:49AM
> When I try to recapture the logged clips, I am getting timecode breaks that
> weren't there originally, and the capture is failing.

First off, what is your Capture Scratch? What's your hardware configuration? I'd be extremely careful about using Capture Now or any other flawed workaround until you've investigated the whole problem. Especially since you've already ascertained, through your initial capture, that your tape and capture device are probably OK.

Tapes don't usually "acquire" timecode breaks. "Bad data" errors, yes, but not timecode breaks, unless you record new material onto them or mix recording formats (eg. Mini-DV and DVCam on the same Mini-DV tape).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics