from wmv to fcp hd

Posted by katah 
from wmv to fcp hd
November 03, 2005 01:45PM
Bonjour!

I have to put together a presentation and my client gave me wmv files?!...what is the procedure to import them into fcp?

do I need another software like flip 4 mac? other suggestions?

G4 version 10.3.8
FCP HD version 45
Windows Media player 9

thank-you........from Montreal, Katah
Greg Kozikowski
Re: from wmv to fcp hd
November 03, 2005 03:26PM

<<<do I need another software like flip 4 mac?>>>

That's how we do it.

Koz
Anonymous User
November 03, 2005 07:21PM
You can get flip4mac in the lafcpug store

November 03, 2005 10:07PM
With Flip4Mac Player Pro you can either edit the WMV directly in FCP or, as I prefer, open it in QuicktimePro and Save it in a MOV "wrapper" which will give you much better performance and handling in FCP.

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
November 07, 2005 12:43PM
Bonjour!
I have now purchased the Flip4Mac Studio Pro, and it works well, I can open in Quick time or in FCP . Thanks for the advise!

Now I have to decide if Quick time Pro is really worth getting?! I all ready had QT 7 but cannot save from there?!

Katah
Anonymous User
November 07, 2005 12:49PM
QT Pro is included free with FCP 5 unless you upgraded to QT 7 and are running FCP 4 or 4.5. Then yo ugot to buy it for $30.00

November 10, 2005 12:28PM
Bonjour!
I am still working on this issue of importing a wmv into FCP

I have now saved the wmv in QTpro as a .mov (option 1 as a self contained movie) (and as it was saving it was saying that it was 'flattening ' the movie!)
I but did not figure out an option to save it as a MOV 'wrapper' as Craig suggested?

importing it into FCP went ok, but now it is seems pretty low quality...in the viewer, its pretty bad...in the canvas, its better, but still pretty chopped up and mostly, if I stretch the canvas, it really looks terrible!

in QTpro, the settings are:
720 X 480 pixels
sterio 44.100 kHz
29.60 FPS

thanks for your input.........Katah
November 10, 2005 12:45PM
I should mention that I recieved these clips on a CD which included various files including these (there are 2 that are really bad!? some other clips are OK)

will it make a difference if I just ask the individual companies to send me their clips on DVD? or on some other format?
what paramaters should I tell them?

thanks, Katah
November 11, 2005 01:01PM
With Flip4Mac PlayerPro or Studio installed, open the WMV file in QuicktimePro and simply do a Save As and select Self Contained. You now have your WMV in a MOV wrapper with no further compression.

WMV is lossy BTW. Lots of data gets thrown out in the making of. It will be lower quality than DV MOV or DV AVI. Playback may be choppy depending on the speed of your mac. It's not matching the sequence settings so the 'puter is doing major amounts of work "on the fly" to get it to play. If you put it in the sequence and render it will play without a hitch.

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics