Alpha Transitions for DVD Studio Pro 4

Posted by Tiburce 
Hello
>
> So, I'm French and I apologyse for my bad english !
> About FCP 5, I have the same problem I encounter with Motion 2. When you
> create a clip on V2 track, you can easely create a video with alpha channel...
> but how to export the alpha channel alone or with the video clip ? It's very
> important for creating sophisticated alpha transitions to use in DVD Studio Pro. If
> you give me an help... I would be an happy man
> Good job
> Tiburce
Re: Alpha Transitions for DVD Studio Pro 4
November 04, 2005 05:35AM
There's a new tutorial on this here

[www.lafcpug.org]
Thanks a lot but I knew this tutorial. The most difficult part of my work is to try to create alpha transition like Leading alpha Transition in DVD Studio Pro. When I try to create a video ressource in FCP, I can without problem create some alpha areas (when video is on V2 track). But as soon as I export the ressource... I lost the alpha channel of my video creating with FCP... I don't understand how to process. Nothing is clear in FCP documentation...

In Motion, It's impossible to create fine alpha channel with gradient, or maybe, I don't understand how to do that...

Imagine this : I have an existing video ressource with some black areas. I want to erase theses areas, to make them transparent. I use an alpha tool like (i don't know the english name but maybe chroma manipulator (manipulateur de chrominance). The result is great. So I believe I have alpha channel (in FCP of course)... So I export the sequence... but none alpha channel at all. How to produce Alpha channel in an existing video ressource in FCP to create an alpha transition for DVD Studio Pro... ?

If you can help me... I can love you

THanks a lot
Tiburce
November 04, 2005 01:32PM
File export> using quicktime conversion
click "options"
click "settings"
change "compression type" to tiff and make sure it says "millions of colors+"
the "=" means with alpha matte

never tried using alpha matted video clips as transitions in DVDSP... but I hope this works for ya!

Hmm... you can love me huh? I guess I have to find my way to France!
Thanks for your answer, but if I export to TIFF, I can't export a video clip !!!

Just a question. If I put a video ressource on V2 track in FCP... and I choose an alpha channel filter to determine black as transparent color, How to be sure, when exporting that clip, to retrieve my alpha channel (transparent areas) in Motion for instance ?...
Because when you get alpha channel, it's very simple to had a black color to reveal menus in DVD Studio Pro, and white to keep the video ressource... But my principal problem is to be sure to export video ressource (.mov) with alpha channel embeded. The insterest is to avoid creating a mate and/or a background matte on an existing video ressource. I've just finished a work like this one, and it's very painful...

If you have a better and a great idea... I'm waiting for you

Have a great day

Tiburce
November 04, 2005 03:21PM
you won't be wxporting a tiff... it will be a .mov. You just ned to change the compression settings to a format that handles millions of colors+ in After Effects I always use the "animation" compressor... you can use that from FCP too.

Again, the + means that it will embed an alpha channel in the video. normal DVNTSC compression does not allow for the alpha channel.

If you are asking how to extract the alpha in DVD studio pro, then that I don't know. I've never needed to do that, and to be honest didn't know you could.

I always designed my menus in FCP or AE and exported flattened movies (which is all DVD menus really see anyway.... behind the DVDSP interface)

not sure if I'm helping here!
I'm going to try exporting tiff to obtain MOV file with alpha channel embeded.
If it's very simple to create backgroungMatte with transition effects to use une DVD Studio, it's not the same as soon as you want to create an alpha transition with various opacity settings in FCP and Motion.
I don't use After Effects because I dont' have it... I use only FCP and Motion to create video ressources for my alpha transitions... standard transition are easy to create with white and black matte, but as soon as you have a video ressource without alpha channel (a movie for exemple), creating black and gradient back areas is complexe... I'm thinking about rotoscoping in Photoshop... maybe it's the easiest way to create very precise gradient black areas (mask layer) to reveal video ressources, and to keep video ressources with white areas... so experimenting and testing are the only ways of success...
Thanks
Tiburce
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics