CANNOT save project to External Drive

Posted by Jen Nguyen 
Hello, there.
I'm a bit panicked.
I just tried saving my final cut project onto my La Cie hard drive and it will not do it.
It says, "File Error: File Unknown."

Now, it was saving just fine all week and now I cannot even find it on my external drive.

PLEASE help as I have over 2 hours of footage logged on there!

Jen
Re: CANNOT save project to External Drive
November 06, 2005 12:48PM
Do a Save as and switch to a new location temporarily, such as an internal drive. This "File Unknown" error tends to happen when you change a file's name or move it to another location while it's still open, but other causes have been known.

If that doesn't work, copy every single thing in the project file to a brand-new project file, then save that. If that doesn't work either, check -- an assistant editor I trained has reported that on his work stations, the Multiclip function has been known to prevent him from saving the project file.

And make sure you perform manual backups at least once every four hours to guard against this kind of phenomenon.
Thanks so much!
Re: CANNOT save project to External Drive
November 07, 2005 05:49PM
Never save your project on an external drive. It is not safe backup protocol. I always save two backups. One on my main Mac HD and one to my iDisk--just in case my Mac gets crushed to dust in an earthquake or fire.

Best,
Kevin Monahan
Author, "Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro"
Last Chance to Sign Up for My FCP FX Seminar, coming to LA this Weekend!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics