AE vs Motion

Posted by Ryan 
AE vs Motion
November 12, 2005 06:51PM
Hi I am a student studying all things editing. I completed Final Cut 1 and finishing up this semester Final Cut 2 Advanced. For next semester I can take Motion and/or After Effects. Does anyone have any advise as to which one has more real world value in terms of future employment in the world of editing?
Thanks
Ryan
Re: AE vs Motion
November 13, 2005 12:34AM
After Effects is everywhere -- Motion is still a work in progress... although as a V2 product - it can easily do a tremendous amount of high end compositing - very quickly. (still laking 3D capabilities)

You are probably better off taking an After Effects course - the learning curve is higher - so classroom instruction may be more valuable... your value as an editor will soar knowing at least the basics (about as much as I know as a producer/director/editor) I find motion much easier to "self-teach" than After Effects...their interfaces are very different - they both compliment each other...and the latest version of Motion makes it easier to import and export pieces of a project you've done in Motion - in and out of After Effects.

So if there's a choice - I'd take the After Effects course and download or read tutorials on Motion (one by Damian Allen is quite good - part of the Apple Pro Training Series - comes with clips on a DVD-ROM)

Good luck with your studies - Andy Field - FieldVision Productions - Bethesda, Maryland
November 13, 2005 09:51PM
Motion does not have a lot of the high-end features that After Effects Professional has. The job market dictates that After Effects Professional is a standard in the Motion Design / FX / compositing arena. I personally use Motion as more of an accessory to After Effects to create FX elements & backgrounds that I composite into AE timelines. Motion is very compatible with AE.

You are coming in at a very good time. The future release of After Effects 7 is about to totally revamp it's interface and functionality.

If you have a choice, I would do After Effects - hands down. If you can do both... do both...but the learning curve on After Effects is steep because it's such a deep program. Don't spread yourself too thin. An employer is more likely to take you on if you have AE on your rez rather than Motion.

Good Luck :-)

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

November 14, 2005 09:43AM
Agree totally. AE is the way to go. It will give you a very solid platform to proceed from, especially if you move from there up to combustion or shake and whatever else the future may bring. I really like Motion too, because being an editor (as opposed to a motion graphics designer) it lets me do some nice titling and basic fx stuff rather easily. However, it's almost too easy by comparison to AE, and you'll hit on the limitations quite quickly. So, if you've a chance to learn AE, I'd go for it. It's a whole lot more bang for your buck as well as for your learning time. You can then easily teach yourself Motion on the side. Or as you say, do both. The underlying principles are the same.

Clay
November 14, 2005 10:48AM
Thanks for your answers and career advise!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics