Is there such thing as a quiet RAID

Posted by B Cohen 
Is there such thing as a quiet RAID
November 13, 2005 12:09AM
I'm putting together a system for a feature, so DV resolution from DVCAM dailies. I have used LaCie d2 drives in the past, usually 4 x250 (and my assistant has a matching set) but I'm interested in a 2tb RAID this time because of backup safety and convenience.....but I need the system to be quiet. The d2 drives make much less noise than the cpu, but I hear RAID can be loud. Any comments.
Re: Is there such thing as a quiet RAID
November 13, 2005 01:19AM
Hey? I cant hear you I've got my G-Raid on! smiling smiley
November 13, 2005 01:38AM
I don't know what Frank is talking about. I have two G-Raids and can't hear them. Now the other two firewire drives I certainly can.

But yeah, those LaCies are loud. Tuck them under your desk.
November 13, 2005 01:44AM
Shane, I guess you didn't notice my smiling smiley at the end of the post. Sorry just my sense of humor. My 320 gb G-Raid is very quiet, I barely notice it's on.
November 13, 2005 01:54AM
I did, I thought it meant that you felt his pain...

ah well
November 13, 2005 10:02AM
The xServe RAID is very loud.....

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
November 13, 2005 01:40PM
I have been lucky enough to design my last 4 FCP workrooms (all with multiple edit stations), and I know not everyone has the space, but I am a huge fan of having an equipment room (or closet).

Currently, I have 3 edit bays that I have run cabling (2x USB, 2x DVI, 4x XLR, 1 component, 2 composite, 8x RCA) to a central room that houses all the decks, CPUs, and our Xserve. I cannot tell you how much of a difference it is to be in an editing environment that is quiet! It is so refreshing.

Plus all the patching is wired to a video switcher, so you dony have climb arround digging through cables. And the whole rack has APC backup, so last week when everyone else in the office lost power, me and my edit team kept cutting (okay, we saved our projects, shut down, then joined the others!)

Again, if you have the space (and budget), I highly recommend it. You could also buy an enclosure for your Xserve and CPU that is sealed in glass. I've never had one, but hear they are great for not only sound, but also keeping dust out - they can be pretty pricey though.
November 13, 2005 05:12PM
In researching putting together a quiet SATA RAID, I found that BareFeets listed the SeriTek dual-bay enclosure as the quietest of their test group. Also, Sonnet sells a four-bay enclosure which they promote as "whisper quiet."

- Justin Barham -
November 13, 2005 06:35PM
B Cohen,

If you're serious about quiet, this is what you want. (URL Below) They make many "quiet boxes", but they're around $2k. Essential if you're running a protools suite for example.

[norenproducts.com]

Mark
November 13, 2005 08:04PM
Those boxes are awesome. And moving all the noisy EQ to another room is the ideal solution. But there are also other less expensive ways for video editors to quiet a room to reasonable levels. Like using affordable sound baffling on the walls and under desks, and buying quieter equipment.

- Justin Barham -
November 13, 2005 08:17PM
The acoustilocks are great, but way too big to get down the stairs to my studio :-(

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics