seperating .WAV Audio

Posted by knuckles 
seperating .WAV Audio
November 19, 2005 08:38AM
I'm editing a project, and have imported audio recoreded by DAT at the site. The DAT tape has voice on one track, and music on another. When editing, I can only manipulate them together, altough the different content is on each track. Basically, I need to take the music up and down in places and the voices up and down in places, but can't seem to manage.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Re: seperating .WAV Audio
November 19, 2005 09:14AM
If you imported the audio as two mono tracks into FCP, they are linked together. Unlink the two audio tracks and you should be able to keyframe each track individually.

Post Edited (11-19-05 07:16)
November 19, 2005 09:44AM
Strange...if you captured as two mono tracks (A1 + A2 Clip Setting in Log and Capture), you should be able to adjust levels for each one individually. Check the clip -- perhaps you'd captured it using the Stereo setting by mistake? If so, select the double audio clip and press OPTION-L and you should be able to break them apart.
November 19, 2005 06:55PM
You can tell if they are stereo by looking for four green triangles on the track in the timeline. Stero clips have them, mono don't. Unlink them with derek's method if they are stereo.
November 20, 2005 03:06AM
I didn't capture the audio. I imported it. It's audio from a DAT, transferred to CD. The right side is vocals, the left side is music. BUt they're somehow fixed together. The simple linking/unlinking function in the timeline isn't working. Every time I adjust the levels in audio mixer from the tool bench, the two tracks aren't independantly adjustable.
November 20, 2005 06:37AM
If you only add one track to the timeline at a time, does this help?
November 20, 2005 09:25AM
> The simple linking/unlinking function in the timeline isn't working. Every
> time I adjust the levels in audio mixer from the tool bench, the two tracks
> aren't independantly adjustable.

Are you sure you're using OPTION-L (link/unlink Stereo clips) and not the normal APPLE-L (link/unlink standard clips)? APPLE-L does NOT work on stereo pairs.

If the command truly does not work, you can try breaking the link by overwriting one side. Drag two copies of the paired audio to the timeline -- A1, A2, A3, A4. Drag the A1/A2 pair down one track so they write over A3. Now drag A4 to A3 to overwrite one side of the A2/A3 sound. That should give you isolated tracks. However, this was an old workaround I had before Jude Cotter showed me the OPTION-L. I've never seen any Stereo pair that can't be broken by this command -- even music imported from CDs.
November 20, 2005 09:42AM
Option-l did the trick. I misread your first post, Derek.
Thanks again guys. This project would be 2 weeks late if not for this forum.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics