Importing files of dubious

Posted by Jboy 
Importing files of dubious
November 19, 2005 08:07PM
A friend of mine has given me files from a film he shot on a new Panasonic HD camera, but I don't know the exact specs of the material. It opens in the viewer when I import the files into a session, but then everything needs rendering when I pull it into a session. I am fairly new to FCP (4.5) , so I'd like some infor on how to:

1. Definitively ID what the original files were shot at.
2. Figure out how to import them into FCP 4.5 so that they will be useable without rendering every shot.

I'd appreciate your advice.

Jboy
JJG1953@aol.com

(USing 4.5 on a dual CPU 1 G G4)
Re: Importing files of dubious
November 19, 2005 09:31PM
The First thing you need to know is what camera and what format.

You can bring the files into your bin right click, Item properties, format, should tell you what you need to know.

from there you can make a new project and set your "easy setup" (i.e. sequence, capture, playback, and output settings) with the correct format from the FCP menu.

you might want to call your friend w/ the camera and ask him some questions.
November 19, 2005 10:08PM
He used the new Panasonic AG-DVX100A Camcorder and shot all the footage, I believe at 23.98 4:3 ratio, with the intent of eventually viewing it in 16:9. When I call up the information on the clips, it says 23.98, 720x480, DV/DVCPRo NTSC, NTSC CCIR 601. WIth these settings, the clips still chow a need to be rendered when I pull them into the sequence..
November 19, 2005 10:23PM
what are your sequence settings?
November 20, 2005 12:27AM
720x480
NTSC DV 3:2
NTSC CCIR 601/DV
Field Dominance: Lower
Quick Time COmpressor: DV/DVCPRO-NTSC

Hmmmm?
November 20, 2005 02:27AM
in FCP, the clip and sequence settings have to match exactly.

a simple way top check the myriad settings, i;ve found, is to use the BROWSER.

put the clip and the sequence in a new bin, so that they are next to each other.

then you can scroll along all the columns in the browser, and make a definitive check of what matches, and what doesn't.

cheers,
nick

November 20, 2005 04:33AM
Dont forget once you have dragged even one clip to the timeline you CANT change the current sequence settings. You will have to create a new sequence with the settings that will match your clips.
November 20, 2005 08:21AM
that's not quite correct.

you cant change the frame rate.

but every other parameter can be changed, or almost every other.

nick

November 20, 2005 09:15AM
> Dont forget once you have dragged even one clip to the timeline you CANT
> change the current sequence settings. You will have to create a new
> sequence with the settings that will match your clips.

I think what Frank meant is that you can change the Sequence Settings, but certain parameters of clips you've already cut into the timeline would remain the same. We'll probably all agree it's best to spend a little time, do detective work, and set the Sequence Settings right from the get-go, rather than haphazardly plow ahead, and needing to fudge with the settings later.

Jboy, finish your research before you move ahead. While I'm getting the sense from your original post that you were given pre-captured media to work with, I'd find out more about who did the capturing, what specs they used, what hardware and equipment etc. before I proceed. Because if they did anything wrong, you'd be the one who'd pay for it down the road.
November 20, 2005 01:01PM
Sorry, it's the editing timebase that cant be changed and it appears from his current settings, that it is the frame rate that is causing the problem of the clips needing to be rendered.
November 20, 2005 02:25PM
All the settings in the Browser match except for two audio settings. The sequence setting is "stereo" whereas the clip setting is A1+A2. The Audio FOrmats also differ, the sequence being 32-bit floating integer, and the clip being 16 bit integer. Could these be the culprits in my problem? How do I change these two particular parameters?
November 20, 2005 03:18PM
> The Audio Formats also differ, the sequence being 32-bit floating integer,
> and the clip being 16 bit integer. Could these be the culprits in my problem?

Not likely. I think you're missing something. Don't just rely on the Browser. Compare the settings this way:

Select a clip and press APPLE-9. This displays Item Properties.
Select a sequence and press APPLE-0. This displays Sequence Settings.

As Nick said, every single setting must match. Frame rate, audio sample rate, pixel aspect ratio, resolution, compressor, everything.
November 21, 2005 04:43AM
well all those things are available in the browser, i believe.
there are some columns that are not visible with the default layout.
control click on the head of any column to see a list of hidden columns

i wonder if it might be some alpha type issue?

audio miss-matches wont cause the picture to need rendering,
and most often, not even the sound.

nick
November 21, 2005 09:03AM
> well all those things are available in the browser, i believe.
> there are some columns that are not visible with the default layout.
> control click on the head of any column to see a list of hidden columns

Yes, that's what I meant as well. Hidden columns in the Browser could give a false sense that all the parameters are visible.

> audio miss-matches wont cause the picture to need rendering,
> and most often, not even the sound.

A sample-rate mismatch would -- however, that would be extremely easy to spot. The render time will be very, very short. And you can test that very easily. Just disable the video Source (the big silver button on the timeline) and drag in a clip and only its audio will come in. If no rendering's necessary, then your audio is fine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics