'Bleach out" transition effect

Posted by Terence 
'Bleach out" transition effect
December 03, 2005 06:06PM
This is an effect I've always been interested in. You see it so much, that it's pretty much a cliche, but I'd still like to know how it's done. You've all seen this: two clips are transitioned by a quick white flash, that I believe was originally created by overexposing the film used in the actual production. I see this so often now, I wondered if there was a AE or FCP plug-in now, or if there is just a common effect applied. I've experimented a little with flare and brightness settings, but I'd like to get that bleach/overexposed effect. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Re: 'Bleach out" transition effect
December 03, 2005 06:08PM
Dip to Color Dissolve, using White as the colour, and making the duration very short.
December 03, 2005 08:28PM
you can also try a plug in.

[www.kafwang.com]

there's are couple in there that will work for what your looking for.

BTW, if you do Dip to Color Dissolve and your doing wide screen format...i think the borders will also turn white. To fix that problem, you'll have to create a matte and overlay it on top.
December 03, 2005 11:00PM
Nattress FIlm Effects has a good one as part of its package...called Film Flash.

Best one I have found to date. The Sapphire plugins come close, but are far more expensive.

And I am guity of overusing that transition...but that is producer mandated...
December 03, 2005 11:19PM
> And I am guilty of overusing that transition...but that is producer
> mandated...

Hehehehehe...ain't that the sad truth.

On three consecutive shows back to back a TV exec. producer I was working for asked, "Can we have a sound effect here, like vinyl scratching?" Yes, it's a black show. Yes, it's stereotypical. I got so fed up with that request I finally downloaded that effect. A lot of producers only know the most stock, most boring, most cliched techniques, and they stick to them.
December 04, 2005 12:47AM
From one of my favorite "Simpsons" episodes (Homer is directing and Lisa is editing on her "My lil' editor":

Homer: Star Wipe to Flanders cutting the grass...then Star Wipe to him jogging...then Star Wipe...

Lisa: Dad, there are other wipes besides the star wipe you know.

Homer: Why eat hamburger when you can have steak?

Andy
December 04, 2005 12:57AM
> Lisa: Dad, there are other wipes besides the star wipe you know.
> Homer: Why eat hamburger when you can have steak?

That very idea chills me to the bone...

Eat steak every meal. See what kinda heart attack you get!

Cuts are like carbs -- you gotta have them whether you like it or not.

Dissolves are like lipids -- use sensibly for delicious effect, but you can't ever eat it all the time.

Wipes are like wasabi -- they taste great with Japanese food. Like the kind prepared by one Akira Kurosawa. Splatter it onto American-style food and you'll come out in tears.

Fade to blacks are like salt -- if you overuse enough of it, it's all you'll be able to taste, and your meal will grind to a halt as you go throw up, get dehydrated, and lose your sense of taste.

And one last prayer: Producers, please don't ever ask for a Page Peel on a narrative feature.
Mike Carrey
December 04, 2005 03:39PM
I've used the saphire filters. Where is the flash transistion that you're talking about ? There is the glow filter, yes, but that would have to be keyframed everytime for the desired effect.
December 04, 2005 11:00PM
Not the best, not the worst, but free...

[www.mattias.nu]

December 05, 2005 09:13AM
Film Flash in Film Effects www.nattress.com also has the option to speed up the video into the dissolve to completely mimic that effect you get in real film....

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
December 05, 2005 11:02AM
Thanks, all! Graeme, I ordered your Flm Effects package. Looks really amazing--thanks for making it so affordable. Can't wait to get started with it.
T-
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics