anamorphic

Posted by James T 
anamorphic
December 15, 2005 08:51PM
whats up fellas,

I shot an sdx900 anamorphic, captured anamorphic, sequence settings DV50 anamorphic, the Canvas is anamorphic.

But my damn exoport is NOT

I dont get why my final compression (DV50anamophic) is not.

I have tried QTmovie, multiple compressor exports and still my final image is squeezed.

any help?

thanks guys.
Re: anamorphic
December 15, 2005 11:35PM
anamorphic IS squeezed.
that's what it means!

it work by being Un-squeezed at the display end..

like on a widescreen TV, or in FCP's monitor.

there are different ways to get the end product you desire,
but it all depends on what your end product is:
Tape/TV, web, etc

for Tape/TV just drag your 16/9 sequence into a new 4/3 sequence,
render it up, and play it out.

if it's just the QT file you want un-squeezed, you might be able do that in QT7,
no rendering or anything required.

open the files item properties (apple J)
go to the video track, Visual Settings,
un-check "maintain aspect ratio"
and tweak your numbers.
i just change the value to % and change width to 133.33%
(if i was better at maths, i'd do it another way!)

i've never distributed files like this, but it certainly works on my system.

cheers,
nick

December 16, 2005 01:58PM

thanks Nick,

i understand how anamorphic works.

And changing QT is not quite my solution.

Even when burned to disc and played on a television, the media is still squeezed.

there has to something in the workflow gone wrong.
But, as far as i know everything is set up for anamorphic, right up to the point of
compression and burn.

there has to be some thing in the compression.

thanks,
J
December 16, 2005 02:40PM
> Even when burned to disc and played on a television, the media is still
> squeezed.

J, you're still not being clear. Let's clarify: When you say "squeezed", what exactly do you mean?

Do you mean you're trying to get a letterboxed movie file and/or DVD but are getting the anamorphic 16:9, vertically stretched ("everybody thinner"winking smiley image?

Or is it the reverse -- you want a vertically stretched movie file/DVD in anamorphic 16:9 mode, which requires a 16:9 monitor or DVD player to play with correct proportions, and you're getting the letterbox bars instead?

Post Edited (12-16-05 12:43)

www.derekmok.com
December 16, 2005 04:02PM
exactly "everybody is thinner"
December 16, 2005 04:29PM
James, James, James...is that what you want, or is that what you *don't* want? Stop writing in shorthand. Tell us what you're trying to achieve, and what you're getting as a result that you don't want.
December 16, 2005 05:52PM
the issue has been clear since the very first post.

and it was answered in the second post.

anamorphic means: "Squeezed" or, in other words: "every body is thinner"

it gets Un-squeezed by the display.
or not, depending on the display.
if you want the image LETTERBOXED on a 4/3 display,
do what i said:

"for Tape/TV just drag your 16/9 sequence into a new 4/3 sequence,
render it up, and play it out."

alternatively, there are checkboxes in most DVD authoring apps to flag the image as 16/9,
tick those, then the un-sqeezing gets done by the DVD player. or so i understand

nick

December 16, 2005 06:00PM
wow,

when played on a television, "everybody is thinner". this is what i DO NOT want.
except that is all I get.

In FCP 5 all setting are set up for anamorphic,
(granted it was done with "easy setup"winking smiley
I have gone through and double checked all settings manually,

if the sequence settings, the playback settings, and the output is set to intended aspect ratio the "all should be well", huh?

i have exported both dvcpro50 ntsc, and dvcpro50 ntsc anamorphic, and dual pass mpeg2's come out non-streached ("everybody's thinner"winking smiley.

J
December 16, 2005 06:17PM
"if the sequence settings, the playback settings, and the output is set to intended aspect ratio the "all should be well", huh?"

NO! NO! NO!

there is one setting you haven't included: the DISPLAY

(in this case, your TV)

anamorphic means SQUEEZED! (THINNER)
it gets UN-SQEEZED by the display.
if the display CANT un-squeeze... (if your TV doesn't have a 16/9 setting)

well.. please just read the previous posts again!

nick
December 16, 2005 07:53PM
> When played on a television, "everybody is thinner". this is what i DO NOT
> want. Except that is all I get.

THANK YOU.
I'm going to be a little blunt here, because Nick is right -- he answered your question in his very first response.

James, I don't think you *did* understand how anamorphic works.

Look carefully at Nick's post:

"Anamorphic is squeezed!"

Anamorphic 16:9 is a setting by which image are stretched vertically -- "everybody appears thinner". This *is* anamorphic 16:9, as Nick and I have outlined. The distortion is NORMAL for this mode.

What you want is to get OUT of that mode. You want an image whose aspect ratio is 16:9 (1.78:1), with proportions normal.

But THAT IS *NOT* ANAMORPHIC 16:9 ANYMORE. If you keep checking that "Anamorphic 16:9" box in your sequence, export and capture settings, you will forever get that vertically stretched image. Because the definition of "Anamorphic 16:9" means that the image is output onto tape or to a movie file in that vertically stretched version, SO THAT A MONITOR OR DVD PLAYER WITH A 16:9 MODE CAN CRUNCH THAT TO THE PROPORTIONALLY CORRECT IMAGE.

If you want an anamorphic 16:9 DVD or movie file, leave your media and movie-file exports in that 16:9 mode. But since you said you see the vertically stretched image on your TV, that means either you didn't know to turn on the 16:9 option on your TV, or there isn't one on the TV you're using.

Check the external TV/monitor you're using. Look for a 16:9 option in all of the menus and buttons.

If you want to see the image letterboxed on your non-16:9-enabled TV, you must put your 16:9 Final Cut Pro sequence into a NON-16:9 sequence and then render it out. I repeat: A NON-16:9 sequence.

Start a new sequence (APPLE-N) in your Browser. Select it and then press APPLE-0 to access Sequence Settings. UNCHECK the 16:9 box.

Now drag the 16:9 sequence, where you did your editing, into this new non-16:9 sequence. Final Cut will now crunch the image into letterbox format. Now you can see the widescreen, letterboxed image on your TV.

Try to move slowly and explain things in detail next time. Read the posts carefully, ask when you don't know any of the terminology. This confusion over "anamorphic 16:9" is a common issue, so you're not alone, but unless you clearly tell us what you want, what you don't want and what you've done, we can't help you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics